Old 01-14-2009, 11:57 AM
"David Groos"

Default What user management software do you use?

Hi All,

I'm working on setting up a classroom/computer lab, first in my classroom but then will replicate to others here in Minneapolis Minnesota USA.* The Edubuntu Hardy thin client is working fine in most aspects and I use it myself but have not rolled it out to my students yet--there are a couple of final tasks to be done, first.

One of the major tasks is managing user privileges in an efficient manner.* My students will be using blogs, Cmaps, wikis and other interactive apps.* I don't know about college classrooms, but in the classrooms of 11-15 year old (inner city) students where this system will be going, managing privileges is a key to successful classrooms.

Over the last few years I've found a 3-level system works well--I used a Mac server--Workgroup Manager--to do this.* Students in the:
--Level1 group were able to use Apps that are relatively local like Office.*

--Level2 students additionally had access to the internet with Firefox and could participate in online discussions, browse as needed.*
--Level3 students could additionally adjust the appearance of their desktop background and had access to games which they could play when appropriate.

Students would start at Level1 and be there for a week, and by showing cooperation with the rules we would developed together, they would move on to Level2 next week.* Then, by showing another weeks worth of cooperation, they would move up to level3.* There they would stay unless they violated a basic tenant of our community, causing them to tumble back to level1...* This system provided recognition and increased rights as greater responsibility was shown, generally they really liked it.

Last night LaserJock told me that Sabayon isn't being developed and Edubuntu-menus has a work-around that students will undoubtedly figure out (right click on a file and you are given the choice of which app you would like to open).* Therefore, I'm searching for something that will help manage groups of user permissions, somewhat similar to Workgroup Manager in the Mac platform.* Unfortunately I'm a newbe with linux (never much had to dig around in OSX too much).* I'd love to hear your stories!* Finally, here is a link to some writing I've done on the Ubuntu wiki if you check it out, please tell me if I should transfer it to an Edubuntu wiki, I'm mighty new here...

Thanks,
David

Old 01-14-2009, 01:27 PM
"M Rathburn"

> Last night LaserJock told me that Sabayon isn't being developed ...

-----------------------

Gotta tell ya', I swapped from using LTSP on F9 because of a major CUPS
issue (which looks like it's been fixed in the latest update from CUPS),
along with the superb documentation available for Edubuntu. While using F9,
Sabayon was the cat's meow! Worked flawlessly. It does exactly what you're
describing. Just a few clicks and the users of your choice suddenly get a
new environment.

I'd like to see Sabayon on Ubuntu get back on track. I'd even be willing to
contribute monetarily! Time is money, and doing it the manual way is very
costly.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:39 PM
Jordan Erickson

I second that. I've never been able to see Sabayon fully work in *buntu
due to the crashing issues in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sabayon/+bug/150068 . I know
its potential is absolutely golden for those who are afraid of the
shell, and/or simply want a very intuitive, easy to use tool to shape
what their users see on a group type basis.

Cheers,
Jordan/Lns

--
Jordan Erickson
Owner, Logical Networking Solutions

Latest LNS Blogs - http://blogs.logicalnetworking.net

Intel and HP team up to roll out Green PCs for the enterprise
Mozilla Thunderbird Add-on "Signature Switch"
Will "Windows 7" be another Mojave Experiment?

Old 01-14-2009, 05:37 PM
Richard Doyle

On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 06:57 -0600, David Groos wrote:
> Hi All,

<snip interesting stuff>

> Last night LaserJock told me that Sabayon isn't being developed
Actually, Federico posted a minor change to upstream Sabayon just a
couple of days ago, so the project isn't completely dead.

Sabayon is buggy, but I found it could be made to work by making small
changes and saving frequently. Don't expect your locked-down setup to
survive an upgrade though...

> and Edubuntu-menus has a work-around that students will undoubtedly
> figure out (right click on a file and you are given the choice of
> which app you would like to open).
Edubuntu includes two menu editors (gmenu-simple-editor and alacarte);
both need to be locked down. Setting their permissions to 0700 works for
me!