Old 01-12-2009, 02:31 PM
"M Rathburn"

Default Logging into virtual consoles on thin clients (ctrl-alt-f1)

Edubuntu 8.10 amd64

How does one log into a virtual console on an i386 thin client? I can see
the consoles by switching to them, but can't log into them with any of the
system users/credentials.

Thanks.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Mika Pflüger

Hi,

> How does one log into a virtual console on an i386 thin client? I can see
> the consoles by switching to them, but can't log into them with any of the
> system users/credentials.
You can only log in with any user specified in the /client's/ log-in
chain.
I don't know, how exactly it is with ltsp, but you should take a look
into /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/passwd. If the thin client uses this directly,
you'll need to chroot /opt/ltsp/i386 and then use adduser to add some
admin user for your debugging usage.

Other than that - don't let users use the virtual terminals as they
don't have access to the server's apps.

Greetings,

Mika

Old 01-12-2009, 03:34 PM
"M Rathburn"

> Hi,
>
> > How does one log into a virtual console on an i386 thin
> client? I can
> > see the consoles by switching to them, but can't log into them with
> > any of the system users/credentials.
> You can only log in with any user specified in the /client's/
> log-in chain.
> I don't know, how exactly it is with ltsp, but you should
> take a look into /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/passwd. If the thin
> client uses this directly, you'll need to chroot
> /opt/ltsp/i386 and then use adduser to add some admin user
> for your debugging usage.
>
> Other than that - don't let users use the virtual terminals
> as they don't have access to the server's apps.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Mika

Perfect Mika!

sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386