FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Edubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-11-2009, 11:39 PM
"M Rathburn"
 
Default Firefox as local app and networking

Edubuntu 8.10 amd64

I want to try to run Firefox as a local app on thin clients to see if things
can be sped up (right clicks, listboxes, etc.). I have everything set up,
unfortunately the thin client running Firefox locally cannot see the
internet. Here's my config:

eth0 - on my local network where our internet is (192.168.1.25, gw
192.168.1.1).

eth1 - is the thin client network with scheme 192.168.0.254 (server).

I understand -why- it doesn't work. Just wondering if there's a way to add
a static route/whatever to make it work both ways (internet from the server,
and internet from the thin client's localapps).

Thanks.


--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 01-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Gavin McCullagh
 
Default Firefox as local app and networking

Hi,

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009, M Rathburn wrote:

> Edubuntu 8.10 amd64
>
> I want to try to run Firefox as a local app on thin clients to see if things
> can be sped up (right clicks, listboxes, etc.). I have everything set up,
> unfortunately the thin client running Firefox locally cannot see the
> internet. Here's my config:
>
> eth0 - on my local network where our internet is (192.168.1.25, gw
> 192.168.1.1).
> eth1 - is the thin client network with scheme 192.168.0.254 (server).

The simplest way is probably to run a proxy server like squid on the ltsp
server, but that will only solve http and ftp. You might want realplayer
or something later, so NAT is probably the best approach and also will use
less resources on the server:

https://wiki.edubuntu.org/ThinClientHowtoNAT

Gavin


--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 01-12-2009, 10:21 AM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"
 
Default Firefox as local app and networking

Hi

M Rathburn wrote:
> eth1 - is the thin client network with scheme 192.168.0.254 (server).
>
> I understand -why- it doesn't work. Just wondering if there's a way to add
> a static route/whatever to make it work both ways (internet from the server,
> and internet from the thin client's localapps).

That's quite easy to fix. If you're running a standalone server, edit
/etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf and change option domain-name-servers to the
address of your name server (usually the address of your router) and
option routers to the address of your router. Restart dhcpd, and restart
your thing clients, then your local apps should have Internet access
(depending on your exact setup of course).

-Jonathan

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 01-12-2009, 11:28 AM
Mickey Moore
 
Default Firefox as local app and networking

I have had a similiar problem when I had to plug a Windows computer into the same switch as the LTSP's are attached. I believe you need to edit /etc/sysctl.conf and uncomment as follows:


# Uncomment the next line to enable packet forwarding for IPv4
net.ipv4.ip_forward=1

This will allow the terminal server to act as a router for machines behind the terminal servers NIC. You will also need a static route entry in your internet connected router (I assume 192.168.1.1) to route packets for 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.1.25.



--- On Mon, 1/12/09, Gavin McCullagh <gmccullagh@gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Gavin McCullagh <gmccullagh@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Firefox as local app and networking
> To: edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Monday, January 12, 2009, 5:11 AM
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 11 Jan 2009, M Rathburn wrote:
>
> > Edubuntu 8.10 amd64
> >
> > I want to try to run Firefox as a local app on thin
> clients to see if things
> > can be sped up (right clicks, listboxes, etc.). I
> have everything set up,
> > unfortunately the thin client running Firefox locally
> cannot see the
> > internet. Here's my config:
> >
> > eth0 - on my local network where our internet is
> (192.168.1.25, gw
> > 192.168.1.1).
> > eth1 - is the thin client network with scheme
> 192.168.0.254 (server).
>
> The simplest way is probably to run a proxy server like
> squid on the ltsp
> server, but that will only solve http and ftp. You might
> want realplayer
> or something later, so NAT is probably the best approach
> and also will use
> less resources on the server:
>
> https://wiki.edubuntu.org/ThinClientHowtoNAT
>
> Gavin
>
>
> --
> edubuntu-users mailing list
> edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users




--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 01-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Mickey Moore
 
Default Firefox as local app and networking

After making the change to /etc/sysctl.conf you will either need to restart networking on the LTSP server or

sudo sh -c 'echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward'

Changing the /etc/sysctl.conf will cause the ip_forward to be true on network restarts thereafter.


--- On Mon, 1/12/09, Mickey Moore <tcamdmoore@yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: Mickey Moore <tcamdmoore@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: Firefox as local app and networking
> To: "Edubuntu Users Group" <edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Monday, January 12, 2009, 7:28 AM
> I have had a similiar problem when I had to plug a Windows
> computer into the same switch as the LTSP's are
> attached. I believe you need to edit /etc/sysctl.conf and
> uncomment as follows:
>
>
> # Uncomment the next line to enable packet forwarding for
> IPv4
> net.ipv4.ip_forward=1
>
> This will allow the terminal server to act as a router for
> machines behind the terminal servers NIC. You will also need
> a static route entry in your internet connected router (I
> assume 192.168.1.1) to route packets for 192.168.0.0 to
> 192.168.1.25.
>
>
>
> --- On Mon, 1/12/09, Gavin McCullagh
> <gmccullagh@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > From: Gavin McCullagh <gmccullagh@gmail.com>
> > Subject: Re: Firefox as local app and networking
> > To: edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> > Date: Monday, January 12, 2009, 5:11 AM
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Sun, 11 Jan 2009, M Rathburn wrote:
> >
> > > Edubuntu 8.10 amd64
> > >
> > > I want to try to run Firefox as a local app on
> thin
> > clients to see if things
> > > can be sped up (right clicks, listboxes, etc.).
> I
> > have everything set up,
> > > unfortunately the thin client running Firefox
> locally
> > cannot see the
> > > internet. Here's my config:
> > >
> > > eth0 - on my local network where our internet is
> > (192.168.1.25, gw
> > > 192.168.1.1).
> > > eth1 - is the thin client network with scheme
> > 192.168.0.254 (server).
> >
> > The simplest way is probably to run a proxy server
> like
> > squid on the ltsp
> > server, but that will only solve http and ftp. You
> might
> > want realplayer
> > or something later, so NAT is probably the best
> approach
> > and also will use
> > less resources on the server:
> >
> > https://wiki.edubuntu.org/ThinClientHowtoNAT
> >
> > Gavin
> >
> >
> > --
> > edubuntu-users mailing list
> > edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> > Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> >
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
>
>
>
>
> --
> edubuntu-users mailing list
> edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users




--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 01-12-2009, 02:21 PM
"M Rathburn"
 
Default Firefox as local app and networking

Howdy folks! I've tried the three suggestions given, but no love. I don't
believe I have an 'abnormal' setup here, but let me give more details...

We have a PC network that connects to a hardware firewall/router/switch,
which connects to the internet. That router scheme is 192.168.1.1. eth0 of
the LTSP server plugs into this router and has a reserved IP address of
192.168.1.25.

We have a switch which all of the thin clients connect to. eth1 of the LTSP
plugs into this switch (along side the thin clients). eth1 has static
address of 192.168.0.254.

Here is /etc/network/interfaces:

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
address 192.168.0.254
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.0.0
broadcast 192.168.0.255


Here is /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf:

#
# Default LTSP dhcpd.conf config file.
#

authoritative;

subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
range 192.168.0.20 192.168.0.250;
option domain-name "example.com";
option domain-name-servers 192.168.0.1;
option broadcast-address 192.168.0.255;
option routers 192.168.0.1;
# next-server 192.168.0.1;
# get-lease-hostnames true;
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
option root-path "/opt/ltsp/i386";
if substring( option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9 ) = "PXEClient" {
filename "/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.0";
} else {
filename "/ltsp/i386/nbi.img";
}
}


Mickey, I tried your suggestion of uncommenting the 'net.ipv4.ip_forward=1'
line in /etc/sysctl.conf, then added a static route entry into the
192.168.1.1 firewall. While I could, from the 192.168.1.x network, now
successfully 'ping' the 192.168.0.254 server (which I couldn't before),
still can't see the internet running Firefox as a local app on the thin
client. Not running as a local app still works fine.

Gavin, I followed the instructions given at
https://wiki.edubuntu.org/ThinClientHowtoNAT, but to no avail. I did notice
that the instructions said to edit the /etc/network/options file. I didn't
have an options file at all, so I created it. Also noticed that its says
that 'By default the ltsp network uses 192.168.0.0/24'. Doesn't it really
use 192.168.0.0/254?

Jonathan, I tried your suggestion of altering dhcpd.conf with the
192.168.1.1 router info. No luck there either. Looking at the thin client
after this change, it had this info:

address: 192.168.0.21 broadcast: 192.168.0.255 netmask: 255.255.255.0
gateway: 192.168.1.1 dns0: 192.168.1.1 rootserver: 192.168.0.254

Could still browse the internet just fine using Firefox on a thin client
running from the server, but running as a local app didn't work.


Where's the missing link in all this? After trying each suggestion, I
reversed out and tried the next so as to avoid confusion. Is the answer in
a combination of all of the above?

Thanks!

-Mike Rathburn
Children First Florida


--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 01-12-2009, 06:52 PM
"M Rathburn"
 
Default Firefox as local app and networking

The solution was to set on the LTSP server the option domain-name-servers in
/etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf to that of my internet router. Then, a static route
was needed in the internet router for 192.168.0.0 -> 192.168.1.25 for the
traffic to get back. So yes, it was a combination of the suggestions
presented. Thanks guys! Here's the updated dhcpd.conf file:

#
# Default LTSP dhcpd.conf config file.
#

authoritative;

subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
range 192.168.0.20 192.168.0.250;
option domain-name "example.com";
option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.1;
option broadcast-address 192.168.0.255;
option routers 192.168.0.254;
# next-server 192.168.0.1;
# get-lease-hostnames true;
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
option root-path "/opt/ltsp/i386";
if substring( option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9 ) = "PXEClient" {
filename "/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.0";
} else {
filename "/ltsp/i386/nbi.img";
}
}


--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 01-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Gavin McCullagh
 
Default Firefox as local app and networking

Hi,

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009, M Rathburn wrote:

> The solution was to set on the LTSP server the option domain-name-servers in
> /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf to that of my internet router. Then, a static route
> was needed in the internet router for 192.168.0.0 -> 192.168.1.25 for the
> traffic to get back. So yes, it was a combination of the suggestions
> presented. Thanks guys! Here's the updated dhcpd.conf file:

It's clear to me that the howto, while useful, is not sufficiently clear or
correct. I've redrafted it. Could people please have a look and see what
they think? If people think it's wrong, bad or worse we can always fix it
up or roll the changes back.

https://wiki.edubuntu.org/ThinClientHowtoNAT

Gavin

PS I left out the step of setting routes on the upstream router. The whole
point of using NAT is that this is not needed. The upstream router sees
the ltsp server's address, so routing is not an issue. This is simpler,
as we can direct people how to NAT, whereas every router is different.



--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 01-12-2009, 09:01 PM
"M Rathburn"
 
Default Firefox as local app and networking

> It's clear to me that the howto, while useful, is not
> sufficiently clear or correct. I've redrafted it. Could
> people please have a look and see what they think? If people
> think it's wrong, bad or worse we can always fix it up or
> roll the changes back.
>
> https://wiki.edubuntu.org/ThinClientHowtoNAT
>
> Gavin
>
> PS I left out the step of setting routes on the upstream
> router. The whole
> point of using NAT is that this is not needed. The
> upstream router sees
> the ltsp server's address, so routing is not an issue.
> This is simpler,
> as we can direct people how to NAT, whereas every router
> is different.

I backed out the old stuff, removed the static entry from my router, then
followed the new HowTo and it works perfectly!

My only suggestion would be that perhaps #5 could be rolled into #1. Touch
the dhcpd.conf file once and be done with it.

Thanks!


--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 01-12-2009, 09:20 PM
Gavin McCullagh
 
Default Firefox as local app and networking

Hi,

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009, M Rathburn wrote:

> I backed out the old stuff, removed the static entry from my router, then
> followed the new HowTo and it works perfectly!

Excellent. A practical test is a very good proofing. I'd like to have a
howto which we can just point users at and expect that they really will be
likely to get it working first off.

> My only suggestion would be that perhaps #5 could be rolled into #1. Touch
> the dhcpd.conf file once and be done with it.

That would be quicker alright, but I'm hoping that by explaining the
meaning of the steps first in a logical order that the beginner may learn
and understand what they're doing -- even if it's not exactly the quickest
route.

Gavin


--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:28 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org