Old 01-12-2009, 09:40 PM
"R. Scott Belford"

Default Firefox as local app and networking

Well done, Gavin. I take responsibility for this. I've been
explaining to new users, for years (1), how to take these steps.
*Especially* setting the LTSP server as the option-router. I had no
idea that the wiki had not been modified until 2009. What is it that
they say about assuming?

--scott

(1) https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/edubuntu-users/2007-October/002569.html

Old 01-12-2009, 10:01 PM
"M Rathburn"

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2009, M Rathburn wrote:
>
> > I backed out the old stuff, removed the static entry from
> my router,
> > then followed the new HowTo and it works perfectly!
>
> Excellent. A practical test is a very good proofing. I'd
> like to have a howto which we can just point users at and
> expect that they really will be likely to get it working first off.
>
> > My only suggestion would be that perhaps #5 could be rolled
> into #1.
> > Touch the dhcpd.conf file once and be done with it.
>
> That would be quicker alright, but I'm hoping that by
> explaining the meaning of the steps first in a logical order
> that the beginner may learn and understand what they're doing
> -- even if it's not exactly the quickest route.
>
> Gavin

I found a slight hiccup. I rebooted the server, and noticed that it's
stopped working. I went and looked at the /etc/network/if-up.d/ltsp-nat
file and can see the entry for '-A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.0.0/24 -j
MASQUERADE'.

I had to do the command 'sudo iptables --table nat --append POSTROUTING
--jump MASQUERADE --source 192.168.0.0/24' to get it to work again. I've
done this twice now to make sure I wasn't missing something.

I'm on 8.10.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:23 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009, M Rathburn wrote:

> I found a slight hiccup. I rebooted the server, and noticed that it's
> stopped working. I went and looked at the /etc/network/if-up.d/ltsp-nat
> file and can see the entry for '-A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.0.0/24 -j
> MASQUERADE'.
>
> I had to do the command 'sudo iptables --table nat --append POSTROUTING
> --jump MASQUERADE --source 192.168.0.0/24' to get it to work again. I've
> done this twice now to make sure I wasn't missing something.

You're absolutely right. I had thought that iptables-save created a shell
script. It creates input for iptables-restore.

I've updated the howto. Thanks for the great feedback.

Gavin

Old 01-13-2009, 12:49 AM
"M Rathburn"

You're absolutely right. I had thought that iptables-save
> created a shell script. It creates input for iptables-restore.
>
> I've updated the howto. Thanks for the great feedback.
>
> Gavin

Howdy. Still getting the same result here after following the updated
directions. Reboot and can't see the internet. If I punch in the line:

sudo iptables --table nat --append POSTROUTING --jump MASQUERADE --source
192.168.0.0/24

then it comes to life. Are there any other files you need to see the
contents of?

Old 01-13-2009, 08:53 AM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009, M Rathburn wrote:

> Howdy. Still getting the same result here after following the updated
> directions. Reboot and can't see the internet. If I punch in the line:
>
> sudo iptables --table nat --append POSTROUTING --jump MASQUERADE --source
> 192.168.0.0/24
>
> then it comes to life. Are there any other files you need to see the
> contents of?

Gah! Another typo. I need to be more careful. Many thanks for going
through the testing.

The idea is that iptables-save writes to a file /etc/ltsp/nat and that when
the network comes up, the command in /etc/network/interfaces is run.

iptables-restore < /etc/ltsp/nat

The filenames didn't match. I've updated the wiki page again. You
hopefully just need to modify /etc/network/interfaces to take account of
this.

Thanks again,
Gavin

Old 01-13-2009, 02:53 PM
"M Rathburn"

> Gah! Another typo. I need to be more careful. Many thanks
> for going through the testing.
>
> The idea is that iptables-save writes to a file /etc/ltsp/nat
> and that when the network comes up, the command in
> /etc/network/interfaces is run.
>
> iptables-restore < /etc/ltsp/nat
>
> The filenames didn't match. I've updated the wiki page
> again. You hopefully just need to modify
> /etc/network/interfaces to take account of this.
>
> Thanks again,
> Gavin

Working great now!

Old 01-19-2009, 05:48 PM
Asmo Koskinen

Gavin McCullagh kirjoitti:

> https://wiki.edubuntu.org/ThinClientHowtoNAT

Thank you for that howto!

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009, Asmo Koskinen wrote:

> Gavin McCullagh kirjoitti:
>
> > https://wiki.edubuntu.org/ThinClientHowtoNAT
>
> Thank you for that howto!

If I thanked you every time you put a howto in the wiki this list would be
a lot noisier :-)

but I appreciate the message nonetheless!

Gavin