Old 01-10-2009, 10:38 PM
"M Rathburn"

Default Adobe Reader as localapp (thin client black screen)

> and add the medibuntu repositories to the chroot sources.list
> (as Jonathan said, see
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu, it is really a
> well-written document. Just remember to put sudo chroot
> /opt/ltsp/i386 before each command.) you will get all
> dependencies and updates via apt-get, that is way easier to
> maintain than to watch out for every update of acroread and
> then install it by hand via gdebi.

Yes, that was the best way to go. Excellent documentation.

I installed into the chroot Mozilla Firefox and Adobe Reader. From all
indications that went okay. I then did an ltsp-update-image. When firing
up a thin-client, I get the pretty little Ubuntu graphical logo and status
bar. It goes through that, then it displays the mouse cursor, then the
screen goes black and nothing else. It is at this point where we normally
get the Ubuntu login screen. We don't do anything like LDAP/NIS, etc.

I've rebooted the machine. I can log into the console okay. I can even log
in via VNC, if that matters. All else looks well. All thin-clients get the
black screen.

How can I either get this to fire up, or at least revert back to a workable
environment (preferably before Monday morning!) . I have no idea as to
where to even begin tracking this down.

Thanks.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:49 PM
"M Rathburn"

More info on this.... I've noticed that on the thin client, the mouse cursor
will appear for a second then disappear for a second over and over. The
lights on the keyboard will blink during this 'pulsation'.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:52 PM
Mika Pflüger

Hi,

> > From all indications that went okay. I then did an
> > ltsp-update-image. When firing up a thin-client, I get the
> > pretty little Ubuntu graphical logo and status bar. It goes
> > through that, then it displays the mouse cursor, then the
> > screen goes black and nothing else. It is at this point
> > where we normally get the Ubuntu login screen. We don't do
> > anything like LDAP/NIS, etc.
> >
> > I've rebooted the machine. I can log into the console okay.
> > I can even log in via VNC, if that matters. All else looks
> > well. All thin-clients get the black screen.
> >
> > How can I either get this to fire up, or at least revert back
> > to a workable environment (preferably before Monday morning!)
> > . I have no idea as to where to even begin tracking this down.

Hi, could you log in a console and do
sudo dmesg > dmesg.log
and
sudo cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log > Xorg.log
and then provide the files dmesg.log and Xorg.log created by this?
It somehow sounds as if X would be crashing and restarting over and
over again.

You could try reverting the whole installation by "apt-get remove" and
"apt-get autoremove". WARNING: Check apt-get -s autoremove (a dry run)
and look, what it wants to remove! It should only remove packages
pulled in by firefox and acroread. Don't run it without -s if it wnats
to remove lots of packages or important packages. This should get you
to the state before the installation of the two packages.

Greetings,

Mika

Old 01-11-2009, 11:30 PM
"M Rathburn"

Looking at the logs didn't show anything jumping out at me. I did notice
that when building the client image, it would finish at:

Info: port 2000 is already defined with /opt/ltsp/images/i386.img in
inetd.conf
Info: taking no action.

where it would normally end with 'PXE image created.' Obviously something
got hosed in the updates somewhere. I've since restored the system, then
went and tried the localapps installs again, this time with no issues.

Thanks.