Old 01-10-2009, 02:22 AM
"M Rathburn"

Default Adobe Reader as localapp

Edubuntu 8.10 on 32bit

Has anyone had success on installing and running Adobe Reader v8 as a
localapp? When I try to:

sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386 apt-get install AdobeReader*

I get:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package AdobeReader_enu-8.1.3-1.i386.deb

I went ahead and downloaded the .deb file from Adobe and placed into my
/root folder. How do I install that directly into the chroot?

Thanks.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:18 AM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"

Hi

M Rathburn wrote:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Couldn't find package AdobeReader_enu-8.1.3-1.i386.deb
>
> I went ahead and downloaded the .deb file from Adobe and placed into my
> /root folder. How do I install that directly into the chroot?

What do you have in the chroot's /etc/apt/sources.list file? You'll need
the appropriate medibuntu[1] repositories if you'd like to apt-get
install it.

To install the deb from your root directory, you could do a:
dpkg -i /root/AdobeReader_enu-8.1.3-1.i386.deb
It may have some unresolved dependencies. You could download additional
dependencies then by doing a:
apt-get -f install

Installing via the medibuntu repositories will be your best route though.

-Jonathan

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

Old 01-10-2009, 01:30 PM
"M Rathburn"

I should've emphasized that this program needs to be installed and run as a
local app on thin clients. We already have the program installed on the
system and working fine being run from the server in a thin client's
session. However, it's a little slow. Hoping that by running as a local
app it'll speed things up. Thin clients are DW PXE1422's so more than
capable.

My trouble is getting it installed into the client chroot from the
downloaded .deb file. How would I install via dpkg into the client chroot?

Thanks.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Mika Pflüger

Hi,

> My trouble is getting it installed into the client chroot from the
> downloaded .deb file. How would I install via dpkg into the client
> chroot?
You could use gdebi instead of apt-get, that is, just use
sudo mv /root/package.deb /opt/ltsp/i386/path/to/package.deb
sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386 gdebi /path/to/package.deb

if you get errors about gdebi not being installed, you can install it
via
sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386 apt-get install gdebi

Of course, if you use the way described by Jonathan Carter and add the
medibuntu repositories to the chroot sources.list
(as Jonathan said, see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu, it
is really a well-written document. Just remember to put sudo
chroot /opt/ltsp/i386 before each command.) you will get
all dependencies and updates via apt-get, that is way easier to maintain
than to watch out for every update of acroread and then install it by
hand via gdebi.

Greetings,

Mika