Old 12-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Bob Wooden

Default Linpopup

I know that Linpopup is available for simple communications between
users during online sessions. But, are there any other alternatives?

As my location is Linux only, I do not need the Linpopup for any
windozes clients (understand that it doesn't work very well with them,
anyway.) So, I have been searching and cannot find any alternatives.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Old 12-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Bob Wooden

Thanks, Jim, that's all I needed. I thought I remembered read a
reference to something like ejabberd, but could not find it.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:22 PM
Fabian Rodriguez

Bob Wooden wrote:
> I know that Linpopup is available for simple communications between
> users during online sessions. But, are there any other alternatives?
>
> As my location is Linux only, I do not need the Linpopup for any
> windozes clients (understand that it doesn't work very well with them,
> anyway.) So, I have been searching and cannot find any alternatives.
>
> Any thoughts, anyone?

Hi Bob,

Posted this earlier, not sure what happened.

You may want to try the "Bonjour" protocol in Pidgin. It doesn't require
a server and it advertises itself to other LAN users, so, zero maintenance.

Cheers,

Fabian

Old 12-25-2008, 12:47 PM
Bob Wooden

I am sorry, I guess I did not reply. I thought I had. Yes, I did this,
it fulfills my need.

Thank you.