-   -   Trialing Edubuntu - integrating into a Microsoft Windows environment. (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/213896-trialing-edubuntu-integrating-into-microsoft-windows-environment.html)

Christopher Chan 12-17-2008 11:24 PM

Chris Snow wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I work in a UK secondary (or high) school with about 800 kids and I have
> the go-ahead to install an Edubuntu server on redundant hardware. This
> is to be a trial, who knows, in time perhaps they will bin expensive
> Windows all-together if successful!

Here in the primary school with about 700 pupils.

> Currently we have a three Win2k3 servers with XP clients.
>
> The students will log into Windows XP via Active Directory as per usual.
> Then, is the following feasible please?
>
> They will access an Edubuntu session from a terminal client (NX maybe?),

NX or Xming. Your choice. NX should perform better.

> log in, authenticating against Active Directory once again. Have their
> /home pointed at the same Windows 2003 shared network folder as their
> Windows "My Documents" is.

This is how I did it. Setup kerberos. Setup winbind to create
appropriate accounts for the Linux side of things. I am not using an
Edubuntu server but desktops so I have winbind setup to store its data
in one single ldap directory for all desktops to use. Setup the boxes to
lookup winbind for authentication and user info (nsswitch.conf |
pam.d/common.*) and to automatically create home directories when pupils
login. Which means I have to make a /home/${DOMAIN}/ for the kids on
each desktop.

One problem though. Getting the mounting of the Windows 'My Documents'
working with proper permissions. Over here, I use OpenSolaris as a file
server and so I can get away with nfs4 and sec=sys. I am not sure if the
current cifs module supports sec=krb5.

> If this is indeed a viable proposition, is there provision for
> configuring it during the Edubuntu install, or would I have install
> additional software and do a lot of extra configuration?

You will have to install winbind and configure it. If you want NX, you
will also need to install that and on the XP clients. Or Xming on the XP
clients. I think the LTSP setup should handle configuration of gdm for
remote sessions for you.