-   -   Trialing Edubuntu - integrating into a Microsoft Windows environment. (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/213867-trialing-edubuntu-integrating-into-microsoft-windows-environment.html)

"Chris Snow" 12-17-2008 10:20 PM

Trialing Edubuntu - integrating into a Microsoft Windows environment.

Hello all.

I work in a UK secondary (or high) school with about 800 kids and I have the go-ahead to install an Edubuntu server on redundant hardware. This is to be a trial, who knows, in time perhaps they will bin expensive Windows all-together if successful!

Currently we have a three Win2k3 servers with XP clients.

The students will log into Windows XP via Active Directory as per usual. Then, is the following feasible please?

They will access an Edubuntu session from a terminal client (NX maybe?), log in, authenticating against Active Directory once again. Have their /home pointed at the same Windows 2003 shared network folder as their Windows "My Documents" is.

If this is indeed a viable proposition, is there provision for configuring it during the Edubuntu install, or would I have install additional software and do a lot of extra configuration?

Thanks, Chris.