FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Edubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-21-2009, 08:18 PM
Gavin McCullagh
 
Default DHCP server sometimes not found

Hi,

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, Sergio Dicandia wrote:

> No luck with DHCP ... it still doesn't give more than 4 (or 5 at best)
> addresses and then it freezes ....
> I did the tcpdump as suggested, you can find it attached ...

I think you need to include it in plain text. That attachment seems not to
have made it through the mailing list server.

> Now I'm thinking to replace the DHCP server, but I need something on the
> server itself, or on a device (the router, maybe) since I cannot ask the
> teacher to:

> 1- start a service machine (acting as a DHCP server)
> 2 - wait until it's up&running
> 3 - start the server
> 4 - start the TCs

Since you reported the issue, so did Lars Andersson on ltsp-users. He
found that by placing the DHCP server on a different machine the issue went
away. I'd guess there's an issue with the standard dhcp server on ubuntu.

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=A1777BE3AA0AB44ABADA6FF66BA5 94ED6C358F0F61%40vkex.vindeln.se&forum_name=ltsp-discuss

If you want to get this going, I'd suggest a dhcp server on another
machine (it worked for Lars). If you have time to try it, it would be
great if you could try to put a different dhcp server (udhcpd or dnsmasq)
on the thin client server.

> Way too tricky for people used to switch on a general button and have all the PCs running (OK, WindowsME, but)
> What about a router ? I also need to assign fixed IPs to specific MAC adddresses to be able to use iTalc ...
>
> :-( I'm very sad about this ....

You're not alone. But I think we're on the right track now. I know it's
slow, but we'll get it fixed.

Gavin


--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 01-21-2009, 10:17 PM
Sameer Verma
 
Default DHCP server sometimes not found

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 1:18 PM, Gavin McCullagh <gmccullagh@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, Sergio Dicandia wrote:
>
>> No luck with DHCP ... it still doesn't give more than 4 (or 5 at best)
>> addresses and then it freezes ....
>> I did the tcpdump as suggested, you can find it attached ...
>
> I think you need to include it in plain text. That attachment seems not to
> have made it through the mailing list server.
>
>> Now I'm thinking to replace the DHCP server, but I need something on the
>> server itself, or on a device (the router, maybe) since I cannot ask the
>> teacher to:
>
>> 1- start a service machine (acting as a DHCP server)
>> 2 - wait until it's up&running
>> 3 - start the server
>> 4 - start the TCs
>
> Since you reported the issue, so did Lars Andersson on ltsp-users. He
> found that by placing the DHCP server on a different machine the issue went
> away. I'd guess there's an issue with the standard dhcp server on ubuntu.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=A1777BE3AA0AB44ABADA6FF66BA5 94ED6C358F0F61%40vkex.vindeln.se&forum_name=ltsp-discuss
>
> If you want to get this going, I'd suggest a dhcp server on another
> machine (it worked for Lars). If you have time to try it, it would be
> great if you could try to put a different dhcp server (udhcpd or dnsmasq)
> on the thin client server.
>
>> Way too tricky for people used to switch on a general button and have all the PCs running (OK, WindowsME, but)
>> What about a router ? I also need to assign fixed IPs to specific MAC adddresses to be able to use iTalc ...
>>
>> :-( I'm very sad about this ....
>
> You're not alone. But I think we're on the right track now. I know it's
> slow, but we'll get it fixed.
>
> Gavin
>
>
> --
> edubuntu-users mailing list
> edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
>

FYI: I just booted my lab of 32 Dell Optiplexes into Intrepid LTSP
fatclients. All clients got DHCP leases and booted up to the gdm
screen. I turned each machine on myself with approximately a one
second delay.

Sameer
--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Information Systems
San Francisco State University
San Francisco CA 94132 USA
http://verma.sfsu.edu/
http://opensource.sfsu.edu/

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 01-22-2009, 08:44 AM
Gavin McCullagh
 
Default DHCP server sometimes not found

Hi,

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, Sameer Verma wrote:

> FYI: I just booted my lab of 32 Dell Optiplexes into Intrepid LTSP
> fatclients. All clients got DHCP leases and booted up to the gdm
> screen. I turned each machine on myself with approximately a one
> second delay.

Had you experienced this issue in Hardy (ie did an upgrade to Intrepid
actually fix the issue)? It appears only some people are seeing the
issue, but it's rather hard to tell why.

Gavin


--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 01-22-2009, 04:23 PM
Sameer Verma
 
Default DHCP server sometimes not found

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 1:44 AM, Gavin McCullagh <gmccullagh@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, Sameer Verma wrote:
>
>> FYI: I just booted my lab of 32 Dell Optiplexes into Intrepid LTSP
>> fatclients. All clients got DHCP leases and booted up to the gdm
>> screen. I turned each machine on myself with approximately a one
>> second delay.
>
> Had you experienced this issue in Hardy (ie did an upgrade to Intrepid
> actually fix the issue)? It appears only some people are seeing the
> issue, but it's rather hard to tell why.
>
> Gavin
>

This is a clean install of Interpid. The previous setup was on Gutsy.
I didn't run LTSP on Hardy at all.

cheers,
Sameer
--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Information Systems
San Francisco State University
San Francisco CA 94132 USA
http://verma.sfsu.edu/
http://opensource.sfsu.edu/

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:48 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org