Old 12-08-2008, 09:34 PM
Thierry Munoz

Default Eee Box B202 works with LTSP 5

Hi,
We have bought an Eee Box (with XP unfortunately...) and it works as a
thin client booting with PXE under Ubuntu 8.04.1 .
But when I shutdown, it's impossible to switch on the PC by pressing
again the on button : I have to unplug and plug to make it.
The booting over the lan seems to work every other time (it works one
time, it doesn't work the other time) : but I have to go further into
the configuration of lts.conf.
In spite of these annoyances, I think we could buy other Eee Boxes
provided that they come without XP to use as thin clients...

Regards,

Thierry

Old 12-09-2008, 01:04 AM
Christopher Chan

Thierry Munoz wrote:
> Hi,
> We have bought an Eee Box (with XP unfortunately...) and it works as a
> thin client booting with PXE under Ubuntu 8.04.1 .
> But when I shutdown, it's impossible to switch on the PC by pressing
> again the on button : I have to unplug and plug to make it.
> The booting over the lan seems to work every other time (it works one
> time, it doesn't work the other time) : but I have to go further into
> the configuration of lts.conf.
> In spite of these annoyances, I think we could buy other Eee Boxes
> provided that they come without XP to use as thin clients...

EEE boxes? From Asus? Are they mini notebooks?

Over here, we are thinking about rolling out EEE PC 901s...

cheers,

Christopher

Old 12-10-2008, 09:46 AM
Asmo Koskinen

Christopher Chan kirjoitti:
> Thierry Munoz wrote:
>> We have bought an Eee Box (with XP unfortunately...) and it works as a
>> thin client booting with PXE under Ubuntu 8.04.1 .
>
> EEE boxes? From Asus? Are they mini notebooks?

I got two of these Eee PC's: 701 and 900.

Here are Wiki pages:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Eee_Box

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_EEE_Top

And here Youtube videos:

Eee Box:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNDmMLMGSQk&

Eee Top:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GODDNPVj1kM
----

Eee Top has touchscreen. Anyone knows is it supported?

http://www.ltsp.org/~sbalneav/LTSPManual.html#touchscreen

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:03 AM
Christopher Chan

Asmo Koskinen wrote:
> Christopher Chan kirjoitti:
>> Thierry Munoz wrote:
>>> We have bought an Eee Box (with XP unfortunately...) and it works as a
>>> thin client booting with PXE under Ubuntu 8.04.1 .
>> EEE boxes? From Asus? Are they mini notebooks?
>
> I got two of these Eee PC's: 701 and 900.
>

> Here are Wiki pages:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Eee_Box

/me stares at Eee Stick. /me stares at Eee Box. /me wonders whether Asus
is planning to take over the Wii market. /me stops fantasizing.

/me eyes the L130/L230/L200 Ncomputing terminals scattered all over the
school some mounted on LCD monitors, some sitting in their slots and
some dangling around. /me believes he has found the perfect replacement.

Thierry, did you get the B202 or the B203? Did you encounter any
challenges getting Ubuntu Hardy on your Eee Box? How is the Eee Box
performance?

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_EEE_Top

Cor! That thing looks really interesting. Hmm, too bad both these things
come only with Windows XP. So much for XP being discontinued.

Asus needs to grow a spine and offer Ubuntu also for their preloaded
operating system. I am half worried about telling the ICT Leader about
the Eee Box...I may never be able to convert the whole school over to
Ubuntu if he decides he'd rather keep the blooming XP even if it means
them boxes cannot join the domain.

I'm going to try calling up the local Asus branch to see if I can get
Ubuntu or no preloaded Windows XP Home. I certainly hope they don't
offer XP Pro...

> And here Youtube videos:
>
> Eee Box:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNDmMLMGSQk&
>
> Eee Top:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GODDNPVj1kM
> ----

Thanks Asmo. I guess I will send these links to the ICT Leader.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:25 AM
nigel barker

Christopher Chan wrote:
> Cor! That thing looks really interesting. Hmm, too bad both these things
> come only with Windows XP. So much for XP being discontinued.
>
> Asus needs to grow a spine and offer Ubuntu also for their preloaded
> operating system. I am half worried about telling the ICT Leader about
> the Eee Box...I may never be able to convert the whole school over to
> Ubuntu if he decides he'd rather keep the blooming XP even if it means
> them boxes cannot join the domain.
>
> I'm going to try calling up the local Asus branch to see if I can get
> Ubuntu or no preloaded Windows XP Home. I certainly hope they don't
> offer XP Pro...

I find that none of the Linux models are available in Japan except for
the MSI wind box (but only the box) and the Dell Mini 9 netbook. Even
the Dell is very hard to locate on the web page. If you click Ubuntu,
you get an empty page. If you click notebooks, there is no Ubuntu mini
9. To place an order last week, I had to go back through my history,
because I wasn't able to find the Ubuntu model anymore.
I feel that MS has managed to strangle the emerging market for Linux
netbooks and boxes. Presumably the new windows will have a version for
netbooks, so they won't have to maintain XP for much longer.
Freedom of choice still seems a long way off for PC consumers.

nigel

Old 12-11-2008, 04:00 AM
Christopher Chan

nigel barker wrote:

> Christopher Chan wrote:
>> Cor! That thing looks really interesting. Hmm, too bad both these things
>> come only with Windows XP. So much for XP being discontinued.
>>
>> Asus needs to grow a spine and offer Ubuntu also for their preloaded
>> operating system. I am half worried about telling the ICT Leader about
>> the Eee Box...I may never be able to convert the whole school over to
>> Ubuntu if he decides he'd rather keep the blooming XP even if it means
>> them boxes cannot join the domain.
>>
>> I'm going to try calling up the local Asus branch to see if I can get
>> Ubuntu or no preloaded Windows XP Home. I certainly hope they don't
>> offer XP Pro...
>>

> I find that none of the Linux models are available in Japan except for
> the MSI wind box (but only the box) and the Dell Mini 9 netbook. Even
> the Dell is very hard to locate on the web page. If you click Ubuntu,
> you get an empty page. If you click notebooks, there is no Ubuntu mini
> 9. To place an order last week, I had to go back through my history,
> because I wasn't able to find the Ubuntu model anymore.
> I feel that MS has managed to strangle the emerging market for Linux
> netbooks and boxes. Presumably the new windows will have a version for
> netbooks, so they won't have to maintain XP for much longer.
> Freedom of choice still seems a long way off for PC consumers.

I hope Microsoft takes a decade to sort out Windows 7 or whatever it
will be called.

We need to buck this trend. If we can get it through to Asus that Asus
could be the new Apple in schools if they offer Ubuntu (and therefore
Edubuntu) then maybe we shall see Microsoft losing their grip on their
'no volume discount' threats. If more and more Asus customers demand
Ubuntu, it makes business sense for Asus to stand up to Microsoft.
Hopefully we can also see more home users using Ubuntu...something needs
to be done to transform the current PC desktop landscape.

Nigel, at least you managed to see something on Ubuntu on the Japan Dell
site...you won't find any reference at all on the Hong Kong Dell site.

cheers,

Christopher

Old 12-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Chan Chung Hang Christopher

> I'm going to try calling up the local Asus branch to see if I can get
> Ubuntu or no preloaded Windows XP Home. I certainly hope they don't
> offer XP Pro...

Nope. XP Home is factory installed (automatically preloaded) and there
is no option for XP Pro much less Linux.

I guess we just have to go with the Eee PC 901 for the kids and blow
away the custom Xandros installation.