Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Edubuntu User (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/)
-   -   User Login Password Change not Applying (7.04) (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/20673-user-login-password-change-not-applying-7-04-a.html)

Gavin McCullagh 12-21-2007 10:44 AM

User Login Password Change not Applying (7.04)
 
Hi,

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007, Mike White wrote:

> > Try: sudo rm -R /home/student9

> Rm: cannot remove directory '/home/student9': Permission denied

Are you sure that's exactly what you did? Permissions shouldn't be a
problem for root (which rm will run as when you use sudo). You can confirm
that sudo is doing this by running:

gavinmc@boing:~$ sudo whoami
[sudo] password for gavinmc:
root
gavinmc@boing:~$ sudo id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)

Maybe also check if the partition is mounted read-write. Type the command
mount

and you should see lines like:

/dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/sda3 on /home type ext3 (rw)

the "rw" means read-write. You need to make sure / and /home (if you have
one) are "rw" not "ro".

Gavin


--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users

12-21-2007 10:51 AM

User Login Password Change not Applying (7.04)
 
Thanks for your email. I'll be away on leave until 7th Jan.
Have a safe and happy Christmas

Rob Shugg



--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users

"Jim Kronebusch" 12-21-2007 01:23 PM

User Login Password Change not Applying (7.04)
 
On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 11:44:41 +0000, Gavin McCullagh wrote
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007, Mike White wrote:
>
> > > Try: sudo rm -R /home/student9
>
> > Rm: cannot remove directory '/home/student9': Permission denied
>
> Are you sure that's exactly what you did? Permissions shouldn't be a
> problem for root (which rm will run as when you use sudo).

Maybe he is running the command as a user not in the sudoers list?

--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by the Cotter Technology
Department, and is believed to be clean.


--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users

"Mike White" 12-21-2007 04:22 PM

User Login Password Change not Applying (7.04)
 
Gentlemen, thank you for your help. It got me started. I am still
investigating everything that has been suggested to me. Here is an
update. I was able to delete /home/student9. Yet I getting frustrated
trying to re-create the folder and/or the user. When I went into Users
and Groups and tried to add student9, it would not 'save' the user. The
logs showed no attempt to create a user. Almost like my efforts didn't
exist. Please don't analyze that from a tech standpoint.

It finally worked when, while adding student9 again, I made it a member
of a LabStudents group and chose a new password that I have never
attempted in the lab before. I don't know if it was the grouping or the
different password that changed Edubuntu's mind. I would be interested
in explanations, but it's not necessary. I may yet understand.

Again, I'm still looking at the other suggestions because there are some
good questions raised in view of possibly future issues. For now, Merry
Christmas.

Michael White
Technology Coordinator
mwhite@bradshawchristian.com
P. (916) 996-1203

> -----Original Message-----
> From: edubuntu-users-bounces@lists.ubuntu.com [mailto:edubuntu-users-
> bounces@lists.ubuntu.com] On Behalf Of Jim Kronebusch
> Sent: Friday, December 21, 2007 6:23 AM
> To: Edubuntu Users Group
> Subject: Re: User Login Password Change not Applying (7.04)
>
> On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 11:44:41 +0000, Gavin McCullagh wrote
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Thu, 20 Dec 2007, Mike White wrote:
> >
> > > > Try: sudo rm -R /home/student9
> >
> > > Rm: cannot remove directory '/home/student9': Permission denied
> >
> > Are you sure that's exactly what you did? Permissions shouldn't be
a
> > problem for root (which rm will run as when you use sudo).
>
> Maybe he is running the command as a user not in the sudoers list?
>
> --
> This message has been scanned for viruses and
> dangerous content by the Cotter Technology
> Department, and is believed to be clean.
>
>
> --
> edubuntu-users mailing list
> edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users



--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users

Gavin McCullagh 12-21-2007 05:22 PM

User Login Password Change not Applying (7.04)
 
Hi Mike,

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007, Mike White wrote:

> Gentlemen, thank you for your help. It got me started. I am still
> investigating everything that has been suggested to me. Here is an
> update. I was able to delete /home/student9. Yet I getting frustrated
> trying to re-create the folder and/or the user. When I went into Users
> and Groups and tried to add student9, it would not 'save' the user. The
> logs showed no attempt to create a user. Almost like my efforts didn't
> exist. Please don't analyze that from a tech standpoint.

To be honest I got caught up in why you couldn't do the deletion, but
should've told you not to do the deletion. Not that you can't reverse it,
just that really what you needed to do was just delete a few things within
that directory:

sudo rm -r ~student9/.gconf
sudo rm -r ~student9/.gnome*

which just deletes the gnome settings and should probably clear your
problem.

However if the account were still present and you'd just deleted the home
directory, you could just do:

sudo cp -r /etc/skel /home/student9
sudo chown -R student9.student9 /home/student9

which will create the home directory from the skeleton and make student9
the owner of it. That's less complex than recreating the account.

> It finally worked when, while adding student9 again, I made it a member
> of a LabStudents group and chose a new password that I have never
> attempted in the lab before. I don't know if it was the grouping or the
> different password that changed Edubuntu's mind. I would be interested
> in explanations, but it's not necessary. I may yet understand.

I've got to say, I can't really explain this. In general, though, deleting
and recreating the account is a little extreme just for a corrupted
profile.

Hopefully things are working for you now, which is the main thing,

Gavin



--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users

12-21-2007 05:28 PM

User Login Password Change not Applying (7.04)
 
Thanks for your email. I'll be away on leave until 7th Jan.
Have a safe and happy Christmas

Rob Shugg



--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:42 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.