Old 12-15-2007, 05:30 PM

Default thin edu installation

Helllo

Want to install a small version av edu om my servers.
Can i install a command line system to my server and then only install the
edu-ltsp system.

Ore will the the result be the same as install the "install to hardrive"
from the cd??

want the server to be as light as possibel and a dont use grafik interface
on the server anyway.

And now my server is much faser after removing them from vmware and
install edu on the servers.
so dont use vmware and edu it gets slow really slow ;-)

// matte

Old 12-16-2007, 05:15 PM
Gavin McCullagh

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007, matte@ahavaxthuset.se wrote:

> Want to install a small version av edu om my servers.
> Can i install a command line system to my server and then only install the
> edu-ltsp system.

As the server uses almost all the same software (and the same copies of it)
as the client, it's not clear to me how much you'll gain by doing this.

> Ore will the the result be the same as install the "install to hardrive"
> from the cd??
>
> want the server to be as light as possibel and a dont use grafik interface
> on the server anyway.

You could just stop the gdm service aodn configure it to not start on boot.
That will make the server a purely command line system (gnome and X will be
installed but not running so they shoudn't slow anything down).

> And now my server is much faser after removing them from vmware and
> install edu on the servers.
> so dont use vmware and edu it gets slow really slow ;-)

Good to know, thanks.

Gavin