Old 11-26-2008, 06:33 PM
"Nicolas Roussi"

Default LDAP users and local groups

First thanks to all that replied and helped for this issue. I have resolved the issue that I was having where the LDAP users were not part of local groups. If you are using smbldap-installer then the solution is the following:

Add a group on the LDAP server with the same groupID as the local group
sudo smbldap-groupadd -a -g 107 -o fuseThen add the users to this group
sudo smbldap-groupmod -m "user1,user2,..." fuse

This did the trick.
Thanks again
--
Nicolas Roussi

Old 12-17-2008, 04:27 PM
"Nick Fenger"

Nicolas,

I just spent a week troubleshooting this very issue on an 8.10 system and got pam to assign local groups to LDAP uesrs. This method does not require groups on the LDAP server.

The trick was in /etc/pam.d/common-auth you need:

auth required pam_group.so use_first_pass

to be listed before:
auth required pam_ldap.so use_first_pass

and this line:

*;**;**;*Al0000-2400;audio,cdrom,floppy,plugdev,video,fuse,scanner ,dip

must be added to:

/etc/security/group.conf

I've updated the documentation here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LDAPClientAuthentication

See the Notes for "7.10 and laters" for the specific installation instructions that worked for me (I used auth-client-config).

Nick Fengger

Trillium Charter School
Math & Technology Educator

Information Analyst