Old 12-14-2007, 07:52 PM
"kevin smith"

Default Clients Freezing in 7.04 when Tuxpaint, Tuxmath or Gcompris are running.

Hello,

I am running Edubuntu 7.04 in a public library. I have a total of 7
clients running on various hardware. The server has an intel dg965ry
motherboard, an Intel Core 2 Duo E4300, 1GB DDR2 667 Mhz x2 (2 gigs)
and an sata hard drive.

Of the 7 clients 5 are adult stations, and two are kid stations. I
generally have very few problems with the adult stations. They are
mostly doing web browsing and word processing. The kid stations,
however, freeze often. It seems to happen when the kids are playing
games, very often, it is tuxpaint or tuxmath, and sometimes, some of
the gCompris games. I know that client freezes have been discussed
quite a bit in the past, but I need some hand holding to be able to
diagnose and cure this problem. I am certain that I have not provided
sufficient information, but I have given all of the relevant
information of which I am aware. Please let me know what other
information I can provide in order to help pinpoint the problem.

I have been reluctant to upgrade to 7.10 since this is a live system
in a public library and is used everyday.

Thank You,

--
Kevin Smith
Assistant Director

Old 12-14-2007, 11:00 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007, kevin smith wrote:

> Of the 7 clients 5 are adult stations, and two are kid stations. I
> generally have very few problems with the adult stations. They are
> mostly doing web browsing and word processing. The kid stations,
> however, freeze often. It seems to happen when the kids are playing
> games, very often, it is tuxpaint or tuxmath, and sometimes, some of the
> gCompris games. I know that client freezes have been discussed quite a
> bit in the past, but I need some hand holding to be able to diagnose and
> cure this problem.

Initially I though tuxmath might trigger the same X11 pixmap caching issue
which firefox and openoffice do but having run tuxmath for a bit (fun,
isn't it!) it's memory usage on xrestop seems minimal. So if tuxmath
crashes thin clients, it must be for some other reason.

I don't mean to be a pain but it might be worth asking the tuxmath
developers

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tuxmath/
http://www.geekcomix.com/dm/tuxmath/
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=tuxmath-devel

> I have been reluctant to upgrade to 7.10 since this is a live system in a
> public library and is used everyday.

Quite right too. Feisty (7.04) will be supported until April. Take your
time. As you may have gathered, there are some wrinkles in Gutsy, but
generally speaking they can all be fixed. If you can get an old machine of
any sort, install 7.04, upgrade it to 7.10, then try booting your thin
clients against that, just to see how they work. Then, when you're
satisfied and have a little down-time, you can do the upgrade.

Gavin

Old 12-15-2007, 04:18 PM
"kevin smith"

> I don't mean to be a pain but it might be worth asking the tuxmath
> developers
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/tuxmath/
> http://www.geekcomix.com/dm/tuxmath/
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=tuxmath-devel

I will ask them, but I don't see how just tuxmath could be the
problem. It actually happens more often in tuxpaint..... often just
opening tuxpaint is enough to freeze a client. Also freezes sometimes
occur when other gCompris games are being played....

If you can get an old machine of
> any sort, install 7.04, upgrade it to 7.10, then try booting your thin
> clients against that, just to see how they work. Then, when you're
> satisfied and have a little down-time, you can do the upgrade.

That is a good idea... I will see if I can find something to do the install on.

I probably should have mentioned that I have the machines doing
auto-login with this version of LDM http://alburg.net/ldm