Old 12-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Richard Weideman

Default Edubuntu 7.10 - A Released Debacle and a Practice in Failure - Response

Hi Scott and others,

I note the points you raise, and offer the following comments with
respect:

Foremost, please realise how small the full-time Education team is -
essentially 2 full time people; Oliver as lead developer, and myself on
relationships. The rest of the effort is purely volunteer.

Also, we have reached a point after 2-3 years where many of the original
core founding community members are moving on to real-world jobs,
families, babies - people who previously devoted a lot of their daily
time to Edubuntu.

We do have "new blood" volunteering in the #edubuntu channel, and are
trying to get a process going to get them up engaged and up to speed.

This relates to your "how can you help" comments and is a start in
addressing them.

#1 The education groups in launchpad have become fragmented.

The good news about launchpad is that anyone can create a group. The bad
news is that often groups are created that do not really have a distinct
purpose.

Also a lot of the time there is an initial burst of enthusiasm from the
creator of a new group, and when there is little activity, the group
becomes a dead limb, which does not make for a coordinated effort, or
help a new person looking to get involved.

At UDS last month, we formalised a spec to tidy and prune. We are
currently discussing this in the weekly meetings.

See:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/education-launchpad-groups
And:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Education/Launchpad/Groups/Consolidate

#2 People pop up in #edubuntu, say they would be keen to help, but do
not get engaged.

We recognise that a better volunteer structure and uptake / introduction
process would make a difference here.

What also happens is that the person who offers to help is usually in
the channel to get a solution to a particular problem. Often they get
back to their daily issues once they resolve their issue, and do not
"come back" to carry thought their offer of help.

We ourselves are busy (with work or travel) and usually do not get the
time to hold their hand and lead them to the right place.

We are sorting out a process which will allow us to easily kick an intro
email to them for later response, and have also come up with the
volunteer position of "Edubuntu Ambassador" ... who will be an
individual with the role of performing introductions and giving guidance
to match volunteer skill and time availability to a decent work effort.

Jonathan Carter is the first "Edubuntu Ambassador", who will help to
shape the role so it can easily be transferred to successors.

#3 Oliver was essentially the bottom line for all Edubuntu tech as well
as LTSP core development and integration.

He was a single individual as a side branch to the distro team, fitting
loosely on top of Ubuntu.

In reality, this a high workload and responsibility for any one person,
and things did fall off the back of the bus so to speak. This was a
matter of time and resource availability.

In the past month, Canonical have restructured the development of
Edubuntu as follows:

Oliver moves into the Ubuntu distro team, with the role of Education
Lead Developer. The management of Edubuntu Technical will now fall to
the usual development team structure, with Colin Watson as the overall
manager.

Technical Requirements that are directly education related, will be
designated to Oliver. Other technical elements that are pure Ubuntu will
be designated to and handled by the relevant teams within Distro. This
gives us access to a much larger and broader team, and frees up a huge
amount of Oliver's time and concentration, by reducing essentially
duplicated effort he had to devote to what are core issues.

#4 The LTSP experience has been good for some, not for others

Much of this can be attributed to the broad range of hardware on which
people deploy our software, which is almost impossible for the core team
to test ourselves.

The complexity of a server/desktop combination delivery means that there
is more to "go wrong" than either server or desktop alone.

If you join our Edubuntu meetings in #ubuntu-meeting on Wednesdays, or
scan the previous logs, you will see that when I ask Oliver (our lead
developer) what he needs most, his response is: testers, testers,
testers.

Stéphane Graber from our community assisted greatly with the 7.10
testing management, but we really need as many people as possible who
are willing to test on their own many and varied platforms.

Your input, support and suggestions would be good here.

Also, our LTSP could be seen perhaps as bleeding edge ... we
synchronised our LTSP with the core LTSP group, and move with the latest
release.

Many other distros remained on the old LTSP 4 due to not having
resources or time, which results in reliance on unsupported code that
hasn't effectively been touched for two years, and is provided without
ongoing security updates.

#5 Release Notes

Point taken. Ideally, we would like to get problem responses from people
up and onto a decent wiki page for easy and ready reference, and not
just either:

* once off comments in #edubuntu which may be solved on the fly,
but which are not documented for others to benefit from

or

* buried in launchpad as a bug report, which a person intending
to deploy a new release will not usually find until they have
installed and experience the same issue
(which is too late as a delay in install is clearly better than
a regression)

#6 Releases too often for Education

Yes, twice a year is perhaps too frequent for a typical education
environment, especially seeing as typical school administrators are hard
pressed for time and resources, and an unexpected spanner in the wheel
can cause many headaches for the teaching environment.

At the 6.10 UDS, we discussed the concept of:

* an annual edubuntu release for education deployment

* a 6 month edubuntu gap release for administrators/decision
makers to evaluate and get an idea of where we are
heading

What complicates this is that the school calendar for the north/south
hemispheres are out of sync due to the structuring of the school year
around the summer long-break vacation.

Here in South Africa, we run with a calendar year ... the school year
begins in January after the December summer break. Up north, it
commences in September.

The Ubuntu release cycle is April & October

So which release is a good month for schools in both groups ?

* Comments welcome on this one. *

#7 The wiki needs a tidy, consolidation and a better overview

Agreed. We've been working on this, but again we need help from the
community of users to get this all sorted.

Even if some people could strip problems & solutions and outstanding
issues from the mailing lists ... that would be a small effort that
would assist in explanation and resolution, and a focus of effort.

---

>From the above, I hope you can see that we are working on improvements
to address many of your issues, but we do desperately need as a start:
* more testers with a range of equipment
* more capable helpers to:
- assist people in the mailing lists
- assist people in the #edubuntu channel
- document issues (such as the release problems you mention) on
the edubuntu/ubuntu wiki

If you are keen to assist, or any others reading this email would like
to help, please send me a mail directly, and CC Jonathan - and join our
weekly meetings.

There is one tonight : Wednesday 20h00 UTC : which will have a focus on
Community:
* both the launchpad group tidy up
* and the volunteer uptake process

Note that our meetings usually have a handful active participants only.
Surely there should be more people with a vested interest and enthusiasm
who are prepared to join the discussions, and lend some elbow grease to
the work effort ?

We're coming up for a Long Term LTS release with 8.04 ... let's work
together to make this one rock solid.

Regards
Richard

--
Richard Weideman
+27 (83) 321-2233

Ubuntu Education Programme Manager
http://www.edubuntu.org
http://www.ubuntu.com
#ubuntu-education

Old 12-12-2007, 04:53 PM
"Jim Kronebusch"

> #6 Releases too often for Education
>
> Yes, twice a year is perhaps too frequent for a typical education
> environment, especially seeing as typical school administrators are hard
> pressed for time and resources, and an unexpected spanner in the wheel
> can cause many headaches for the teaching environment.
>
> At the 6.10 UDS, we discussed the concept of:
>
> * an annual edubuntu release for education deployment
>
> * a 6 month edubuntu gap release for administrators/decision
> makers to evaluate and get an idea of where we are
> heading
>
> What complicates this is that the school calendar for the north/south
> hemispheres are out of sync due to the structuring of the school year
> around the summer long-break vacation.
>
> Here in South Africa, we run with a calendar year ... the school year
> begins in January after the December summer break. Up north, it
> commences in September.
>
> The Ubuntu release cycle is April & October
>
> So which release is a good month for schools in both groups ?
>
> * Comments welcome on this one. *

I have a lot of thoughts on all topics, but I need more time to respond to some many of
them. But I have some quick thoughts on this one. The release times are tied directly
to Ubuntu, so I assume that won't change. Now for me, I don't want to upgrade during
the school year, but I would like the release to be available during the summer break
for a ton of testing before the school year starts and the production servers are
upgraded. So for me the use of the April release is best, this allows 4 months of
testing before it goes into service. That is enough time for the gotchas to be worked
out and most bugs to be fixed, making what is available by the time of actual service to
be very reliable. But for those who have their break in December, this might be a long
wait for them to release. However do they really want to go production on an OS that
was only released 2 months prior? That might be enough time for bug fixes and testing,
but maybe not. I really don't usually ever use an OS immediately on release, just
doesn't seem like a good idea as there are always problems no matter what distro
(Windows, Mac, Linux flavors). I will be waiting for Hardy and will skip Gutsy
completely. Not because I think Gutsy is bad, just that I wouldn't dare upgrade the
central server that runs all 110 student computers in the middle of the school year, and
I don't want any major changes that they would have to adjust to half way through the
year. I'll wait for Hardy in April, start my testing, watch the bugs and hopefully
report my own, then when all is tested and safe, I'll upgrade the production server in
the end of August and test for a couple weeks before students show up.

So long story short, I vote for a single release in April. If anyone wants to they can
watch the beta releases and test new features and such. But this makes it safe for all
end users to test...test...test...and bug fix so that all kinks are worked out before
implementation. This also would relieve a lot of hassle that the limited developers
(full-time and volunteer) just to make a release. The extra release cycle I'm sure
takes away from a lot of programming and bug fixes and feature additions. A sensible
school (in my opinion) should do once a year upgrades during the yearly transition
(summer break for us).

My 2 cents,
Jim

Old 12-12-2007, 09:09 PM
"Jim Kronebusch"

> A sensible school (in my opinion) should do once a year upgrades during the
> yearly transition
> (summer break for us).

I would like to retract that statement. For me it would not be sensible, but I
shouldn't put my situation on others. Sorry if this offended anyone.

And let me also clarify, 2 releases is cool, and allows better choice. But if a single
release would benefit the developers and allow better focus on the real meat and not
just release deadlines, then I vote for a single release in April.

Jim

Old 12-12-2007, 10:52 PM
"Todd O'Bryan"

> The Ubuntu release cycle is April & October
>
> So which release is a good month for schools in both groups ?
>
> * Comments welcome on this one. *

Let me suggest some slight out of the box thinking...

What if Edubuntu came out just after Ubuntu?

If the Edubuntu release happened at the beginning of June and December
and included bug fixes discovered from the Ubuntu release just
preceding, it would have the potential to be fairly solid, have some
testing time before the next school term in both hemispheres, and
would have its own deadline far enough away from the main release that
developer resources could be re-deployed if necessary to finish work
that was needed.

I would emphasize that the Edubuntu release should include no features
not present in the preceding Ubuntu release. It would just be an
opportunity for thin client issues to be dealt with and some spit and
polish to be put on the educational aspects.

Todd