Old 12-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Asmo Koskinen

Default Trouble With Gutsy

tmoore@rivercitychristianschool.com kirjoitti:
> I have an AMD64 server with ten i386 clients.

I have tested with Intel Duo Core with P4 client:

http://wiki.ubuntu-fi.org/Edubuntu_7.10_Classroom_Server_%28x86_64%29

Client:

http://wiki.ubuntu-fi.org/LTSP_Ohjeita#head-a289f7ef5347792722aa648331486f6b134d8792

It worked out of box with one nic and with little tweaked dhcpd.conf.
Sound and usb worked, too. Even YouTube with Gnash.

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:28 PM
"David Van Assche"

I use amd64 with 32 bit clients and run flash (with sound), and realplayer, local sound, and usb (after patch) without any issues. Compared to using a 32 bit server, which has the inherent problem of the max memory issue, 64 bit is incredibly stable and uses surprisingly little memory...

David

Old 12-13-2007, 11:20 PM
"David Van Assche"

hi Ted,
** Welcome to edubuntu and 64 bit and don't get discouraged... a couple of us 64 bit users have talked about making a dedicated wiki for this, and Id help, though getting a wiki up on
ubuntu.com doesnt seem that easy if you're doing it for the first time...

By default, indeed the thin client environment wasnt working because it was trying to load the default amd64 client images. I deleted the 64 bit client chroot, as I didnt need it, then restarted inetd and made sure the images were being read on the right port:

edit /etc/inetd.conf

check for the nbdport part if it exists and make check sure the correct image is shown to load on the correct port.

Restart it: /etc/init.d/openbsd-inetd restart

Check the logs to see that the correct image is being loaded. I believe this is what I went through... if it still doesnt work, try restarting the server, and if then you are still having problems, drop me a line, and I'll help where I can.

Could you enlighten me about the steps you had to go through to get the server to recognize and connect to the clients.* I did the dhcpd.conf modifications, then the build i386 stuff, but when I tried to connect, the thin clients seemed to get stuck trying to load the proper system.* Any help would be appreciated.

--Ted