Old 10-15-2008, 10:43 PM
Ken Schreihofer

Default PXE-E32: TFTP Open Timeout Error

Hello,

Today, I took a server running Edubuntu LTSP 8.04, and set it up in a
lab at a local community site. The server is a HP Netserver LPR, the
clients are Compaq EVOs. After connecting, the clients immediately PXE
booted from the server, and loaded Edubuntu. I was able to log in, use
applications, log out and change accounts, etc.

At one point, I shut down the clients, and restarted the server. The
server came back on without error, I logged in, and started to boot up
the clients. At this point, the PXE boot in the clients read that no
DHCP offer was received. After issuing the
command /etc/init.d/dhcpd3-server start, the clients correctly received
IP addresses, but were now displaying the following error during PXE
Boot:

TFTP.....
PXE-E32: TFTP Open Timeout Error

I've tried several approaches, and have not as of yet been able to solve
the boot. Would someone be able to shed some light on this problem for
me?

Thank you,
Ken Schreihofer
Newark, NJ

Old 10-16-2008, 09:39 AM
Gavin McCullagh

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008, Ken Schreihofer wrote:

> I've tried several approaches, and have not as of yet been able to solve
> the boot. Would someone be able to shed some light on this problem for
> me?

It sounds like dhcp server didn't start on boot (so you started it) and
that openbsd-inetd didn't start (you may need to start it).

/etc/init.d/openbsd-inetd start

You should look in /etc/rc2.d/ to see are there SXXX links present to start
those on reboot.

Gavin