Old 12-12-2007, 12:00 AM
"R. Scott Belford"

Default where to get a clear view of if Gutsy is worth upgrading to.

Scott Balneaves wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 08:55:58AM -0400, Alfred Nutile wrote:
>> Hold on there Scott L. Balneaves ( -:
>> I am with you on your reply.
>> What I am getting at is we are using Fiesty now, and is Gutsy ready to
>> be used or are there more kinks to work out before Edu thinks it is
>> ready.
>
> It's Released, therefore, we think it's ready.
> We thought it was ready, so, it was Released.

Who was the "we" and where are you Now?
Since it was not ready, what can we Do?

It seems that there are many of us wishing to be part of the "we", but I
don't see how much less who to ask. This is all about being positive,
pro-active, and results focused. I want to be part of the solution, and
I am trying, but I don't know the way.

> Scott

--scott

Old 12-12-2007, 12:22 AM
Alfred Nutile

This was an example a question I had that the reply was less then
supportive.
But enough with that. My point to this emails is how do we create a we?
Can there be a bit more enduser involvement.
Seems edu is a lot of good developer but maybe not enough enduser/admin
feedback and say?

Old 12-13-2007, 06:54 PM
"Scott Balneaves"

On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 03:00:23PM -1000, R. Scott Belford wrote:

> Who was the "we" and where are you Now?

ogra, stgraber, moquist, dtrask, sbalneav (me), etc. We're still
here, on this list, edubuntu-devel, in #edubuntu on irc.freenode.net,
following bugs on Launchpad, etc. etc.

> Since it was not ready, what can we Do?

It was ready, it got released. It has bugs, like all software. And, of
course, we're fixing them, issuing patches, getting things ready for the
next version, etc.

As for what you can DO, well, read on.

> It seems that there are many of us wishing to be part of the "we", but I
> don't see how much less who to ask.

Have you looked in the Edubuntu Handbook? There's a whole chapter on
how to get involved. Here's the coles notes version:

1) There is no "process" on how to get involved: you just GET INVOLVED.
This can take several forms:
a) Help triage bugs on
https://edge.launchpad.net/~edubuntu-bugs/+packagebugs
We always need more information.
b) Help code. Check out branches of software and start submitting
packages.
c) Hang out in the channels, and help answer questions. I've been
SWAMPED here at work for the last month, which reduces our
available list of regular channel people by probably about 20%.
d) Join both edubuntu-devel as well as edubuntu-users, and help
there.
e) Become a MOTU and help package programs.
2) TEST TEST TEST
This last release, we probably had about 6 or 7 people actually test
the distro extensively. That's WAY too little. But most people seem
to want to wait for the "stable" release to come out, not realizing
that UNLESS THEY GET INVOLVED IN TESTING IT, it won't be as stable as
they like

Here's an example:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/edubuntu-devel/2007-August/002337.html

I got 3 email responses to that. All off-list. One fellow indicated
that he had no time to help contribute, but that he hoped that the
handbook was going to be better than the last time. One indicated he
wasn't too good with the computer(!) but if I wanted to MAIL him weekly
printed copies, he'd happily proofread for spelling mistakes, etc.

In short: there's no process to get involved. Just pick up a shovel
and start digging

> This is all about being positive,
> pro-active, and results focused. I want to be part of the solution, and
> I am trying, but I don't know the way.

Start by reading the chapter called "Contributing to Edubuntu" in the
Handbook.

And most importantly, testing the next release and helping to catch
bugs before the release.

Scott

--
Scott L. Balneaves | "Eternity is a very long time,
Systems Department | especially towards the end."