Old 10-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Sergio Dicandia

Default How to share a folder among Edubuntu users ?

Hi,

I have a problema on a 8.04 running in my school.
Each thin client logs on using a username (pc01, pc02, ..., pc10) and have its own home dir.
Since kids can log onto a different client each time, I need to show them their docs, regardless of the workstation they're connected to.
(more, if autologon works, I'd like to have thin clients logging in automatically with no need to remember username and passwords, but that's another story).

Briefly, I need a shared folder where everybody can read and write, with subfolders for each class, with the same full rights.
I tried creating /home/classes and sharing it, but it doesn't work: each new doc is owned by its creator, and other users cannot do anything on it .... :-(

Any suggestions
?
TIA

Old 10-12-2008, 11:23 PM
Richard Doyle

On Sun, 2008-10-12 at 13:55 -0700, Sergio Dicandia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problema on a 8.04 running in my school.
> Each thin client logs on using a username (pc01, pc02, ..., pc10) and
> have its own home dir.
> Since kids can log onto a different client each time, I need to show
> them their docs, regardless of the workstation they're connected to.
> (more, if autologon works, I'd like to have thin clients logging in
> automatically with no need to remember username and passwords, but
> that's another story).
>
> Briefly, I need a shared folder where everybody can read and write,
> with subfolders for each class, with the same full rights.
> I tried creating /home/classes and sharing it, but it doesn't work:
> each new doc is owned by its creator, and other users cannot do
> anything on it .... :-(

> Any suggestions ?
use setgid on the shared folder and subfolders. See, for example,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setuid

There are lots of ways to do this, ours may not be optimal and aren't
quite what you need, but here are the folder permissions we use for the
"cp12" class, where the "Current Work" folder can be used by anyone in
the class, but the "Instructions" folder is read-only for students and
read-write for the teacher (Barbara):

$ ls -al /home/classes/cp12
total 84
drwxr-s--T 4 barbara cp12 4096 2007-08-02 14:07 .
drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 2008-09-01 10:00 ..
drwxrws--T 3 barbara cp12 4096 2008-09-24 11:53 Current Work
drwxr-s--T 2 barbara cp12 4096 2007-08-02 11:18 Instructions

hth

-Richard