-   -   fat client (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/173762-fat-client.html)

"David Van Assche" 10-09-2008 11:44 PM

fat client

So, I finished my fat client script which currently builds a
multimedia system with support for network printing, usb sticks,
sounds, flash, video streaming, etc. You can download it here and find
instructions there too:

http://nubae.com/creating-a-low-fat-client-environment-for-ltsp

Kind Regards,
David Van Assche
www.nubae.com

Uwe Geercken 10-10-2008 07:15 AM

fat client

david,

when you say "build-the-low-fat client" are there any modifications, I
need to do on the client side?

I am asking because I can not touch the existing hardware, yet I have
quite good clients and some things are slow using ltsp. having a low
or high fat client would enable me to maybe run some games with the
kids or multimedia.

rgds,

uwe

"David Van Assche" 10-10-2008 09:08 AM

fat client

Hi Uwe,
The idea of building this plugin was to make it as simple as typing
one command and have it do all the necessary work for you... when I
say build, I mean use the ltsp-build-client command that u normally
use for a normal client. I should add, that the script has been
created and tested on Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex. That said, in order to run
it on hardy is simply a matter of finding the mentioned medibuntu
repository in the script and change intrepid to hardy. I suppose I can
put up a Hardy version on my website.

Fat client is indeed meant for what you mention. The minimum
requirements as I see them are a 600 mhz P2 with 256MB Ram. It will
run on systems with less, but it will be slower, anything below this
is really better geared towards use as a thin client. I've tested the
low fat client on a 500mhz geode with 128mb ram, and even that
works... but it requires some more testing to see what it will and
will not run on. Obviously choosing high fat or low fat will make a
difference...

Kind Regards,
David Van Assche
www.nubae.com

"David Van Assche" 10-10-2008 10:10 AM

fat client

As I mentioned before, the fat client plugin was designed and made for
Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex, but I've now added a version for hardy on my
website too. You can find it here:

http://nubae.com/ltsp-linux-terminal-server-project-netbooted-fat-client-for-ubuntu-hardy-and-intrepid

Please let me know if anyone has poblems...

David Van Assche
www.nubae.com

Gavin McCullagh 10-10-2008 10:25 AM

fat client

Hi,

this is interesting stuff.

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008, David Van Assche wrote:

> I suppose I can put up a Hardy version on my website.

Probably no harm. I suspect a lot of people will want to stick with hardy
(I suspect "intrepid" suggests a lot of new stuff that might not be
entirely stable yet).

> Fat client is indeed meant for what you mention. The minimum requirements
> as I see them are a 600 mhz P2 with 256MB Ram. It will run on systems
> with less, but it will be slower, anything below this is really better
> geared towards use as a thin client. I've tested the low fat client on a
> 500mhz geode with 128mb ram, and even that works... but it requires some
> more testing to see what it will and will not run on. Obviously choosing
> high fat or low fat will make a difference...

Does it use NBD or a local disk swap partition? While it might boot and
even login in 128MB RAM, I suspect you'll run very short of ram very
quickly with all applications running locally. Your ram requirements
should I guess be similar to those for a regular desktop.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements

Gavin

"David Van Assche" 10-10-2008 10:35 AM

fat client

Hi Gavin,

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 12:25 PM, Gavin McCullagh <gmccullagh@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this is interesting stuff.

Thanks

Now done: http://nubae.com/ltsp-linux-terminal-server-project-netbooted-fat-client-for-ubuntu-hardy-and-intrepid

>> Fat client is indeed meant for what you mention. The minimum requirements
>> as I see them are a 600 mhz P2 with 256MB Ram. It will run on systems
>> with less, but it will be slower, anything below this is really better
>> geared towards use as a thin client. I've tested the low fat client on a
>> 500mhz geode with 128mb ram, and even that works... but it requires some
>> more testing to see what it will and will not run on. Obviously choosing
>> high fat or low fat will make a difference...
>
> Does it use NBD or a local disk swap partition? While it might boot and
> even login in 128MB RAM, I suspect you'll run very short of ram very
> quickly with all applications running locally. Your ram requirements
> should I guess be similar to those for a regular desktop.

It does use NBD, yes... allows for a fast loading, protected
environment.. home is mounted via nfs, and there is a rather
complicated hack that synchs users between server and fatclient,
controlled by cron. I'll be changing that to use sshfs for next
version.
As for running out of ram, yeah... for sure... its not recommended to
run less than 256mb, my test computer has 500mhz and 512 mb, and that
runs fine... which shows that ram is more important than cpu speed...

"Krsnendu dasa" 10-10-2008 05:53 PM

fat client

Is it possible to build a low fat client using xubuntu to make things
even lighter? (I don't understand much about the differences from a
users point of view or why xubuntu requires less power. Can someone
enlighten me a bit?)

I have some clients that are not so fat, but having sound (i.e. vlc,
maybe skype) and flash running locally could solve some problems.
Perhaps local apps is a better option in this case.

uwe 10-12-2008 08:31 PM

fat client

hello everybody,

I have seenand used the documentation on LTSP5. is it available in
german also?

if not, I would volunteer to make a translation into german.

rgds,

uwe

uwe 10-12-2008 08:51 PM

fat client

hi david,

I will give it a try. I understand that I do not need to make any
modifications to the clients, right?

rgds,

uwe

Assche:

"David Van Assche" 10-13-2008 04:14 PM

fat client

It is indeed possible to build any environment u want, be it kubuntu,
ubuntu studio, or xubuntu. It would require changing the packages in
the script only. If there is enough interest, I will make a xubuntu
version. I would also love to hear some insights on how comparable the
2 are... xubuntu and ubuntu in terms of cpu usage, ram usage and power
usage...

Kind Regards,
David Van Assche,
www.nubae.com