-   -   8.04 ltsp +slow (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/172927-8-04-ltsp-slow.html)

"Ken Campbell" 10-08-2008 04:48 PM

8.04 ltsp +slow

Hi to all,

I have new setup 8.04ltsp Hardy

16 clients all have:
1.8gig celeron, 512 M ram. Intel PXE gigabyte NIC,
Cisco gigabit switch

Server is 2.113 G Hp Xeon with 160 gig sata, 4 gig ram, two gigabit nics.

Have not done any configuration to ltsp.
Clients are very slow. After a handful boot ok, everything slows down.
Performance is terrible.
Given hardware of server and clients, what is making this setup so slow for
clients?
What steps have I not done?

TIA

Kenneth Campbell

Jordan Erickson 10-08-2008 05:39 PM

8.04 ltsp +slow

Ken,

Have you looked at 'top' to see if there are any processes hoggging the
CPU? Have you looked through logfiles on the server/clients? Are you
logging in & launching applications, or simply stopping when they get to
an LDM login prompt?

Have you updated your chroot?

Cheers,
Jordan

Uwe Geercken 10-08-2008 08:53 PM

8.04 ltsp +slow

hello friends,

I have a similar problem. I have re-installed the server. I went to
8.04 and at the same time implemented software raid to our server
which had been running several month in our local school.

now when the server starts the following happens: the first client
that boots is really fast. the second one is visibly slower. all other
clients (all the same) don't boot anymore after that. we are alone on
the network: just the edubuntu server and 15 clients.

when I shutdown the clients and reboot the server and then start
different clients, I experience the same problem. also maybe I should
add, that with the previous version we did not experience these
problems.

when I try to boot several clients as described above and then go to
the server, I noticed that the server is really slow: even entering
the root password on the console takes forever.

hope somebody can help me. it is rather urgent, as I have to start
classes 6 days from today and the kids (11 years old) want to fell and
see some linux and I really don't want to disappoint them.

tks.

uwe

"Krsnendu dasa" 10-08-2008 08:57 PM

8.04 ltsp +slow

DirectX=true ?

Jordan Erickson 10-09-2008 12:47 AM

8.04 ltsp +slow

Uwe,

I just got back from a site and noticed a few things regarding NBD_SWAP
and the ltsp-client-setup script that lives in /etc/init.d in the
chroot. I have no idea if this is related, but it *does* hang the server
(and bootup of clients) when NBD_SWAP = True, the chroot is updated with
hardy-updates (which fixes the NBD port bug and gets it going in the
first place) at:

---
Setting up LTSP client...
Negotiation:
---

Upon looking in 'top' on the server, there are a few 'dd' processes
running, which I assume are creating swap files in /tmp on the server.
I'm not sure though. Here's my IRC log, just to give more information
(Thanks Ryan for the help btw, you nailed a syntax bug in the script):

http://lns.wikidot.com/randomnotes

Whoever takes care of the ltsp-client-setup script should probably fix
that quote issue. Possibly our whole issue with NBD_SWAP lies in this
script as well... ?

Cheers,
Jordan

Oliver Grawert 10-09-2008 10:08 AM

8.04 ltsp +slow

hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 08.10.2008, 17:47 -0700 schrieb Jordan Erickson:
> Uwe,
>
> I just got back from a site and noticed a few things regarding NBD_SWAP
> and the ltsp-client-setup script that lives in /etc/init.d in the
> chroot. I have no idea if this is related, but it *does* hang the server
> (and bootup of clients) when NBD_SWAP = True, the chroot is updated with
> hardy-updates (which fixes the NBD port bug and gets it going in the
> first place) at:
>
> ---
> Setting up LTSP client...
> Negotiation:
> ---
>
> Upon looking in 'top' on the server, there are a few 'dd' processes
> running, which I assume are creating swap files in /tmp on the server.
> I'm not sure though. Here's my IRC log, just to give more information
> (Thanks Ryan for the help btw, you nailed a syntax bug in the script):
>
> http://lns.wikidot.com/randomnotes
>
> Whoever takes care of the ltsp-client-setup script should probably fix
> that quote issue. Possibly our whole issue with NBD_SWAP lies in this
> script as well... ?
wow, that was well spotted, this change of looping over nbd devices came
from fedora and likely contains a few bashisms, i will examine it soon
and prepare a fix for hardy-updates...

ciao
oli

Jordan Erickson 10-09-2008 05:02 PM

8.04 ltsp +slow

Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
> Am Mittwoch, den 08.10.2008, 17:47 -0700 schrieb Jordan Erickson:
>
>> Uwe,
>>
>> I just got back from a site and noticed a few things regarding NBD_SWAP
>> and the ltsp-client-setup script that lives in /etc/init.d in the
>> chroot. I have no idea if this is related, but it *does* hang the server
>> (and bootup of clients) when NBD_SWAP = True, the chroot is updated with
>> hardy-updates (which fixes the NBD port bug and gets it going in the
>> first place) at:
>>
>> ---
>> Setting up LTSP client...
>> Negotiation:
>> ---
>>
>> Upon looking in 'top' on the server, there are a few 'dd' processes
>> running, which I assume are creating swap files in /tmp on the server.
>> I'm not sure though. Here's my IRC log, just to give more information
>> (Thanks Ryan for the help btw, you nailed a syntax bug in the script):
>>
>> http://lns.wikidot.com/randomnotes
>>
>> Whoever takes care of the ltsp-client-setup script should probably fix
>> that quote issue. Possibly our whole issue with NBD_SWAP lies in this
>> script as well... ?
>>
> wow, that was well spotted, this change of looping over nbd devices came
> from fedora and likely contains a few bashisms, i will examine it soon
> and prepare a fix for hardy-updates...
>
> ciao
> oli

/me feels happy to have found this (with help from Ryan52 in #ltsp) =)
Thanks Oli!

Jordan

Uwe Geercken 10-10-2008 07:07 AM

8.04 ltsp +slow

thanks for your feedback.

I now have a key for the school and will be there the weekend to
tackle the problem.

where should I check for the NDB_SWAP=True parameter?

one more question. we did not have internet access so far. so I never
did any updates on the server. the software I made available through a
local mirror I set up in case I needed to install additional software.
when I update the server, I would assume, that I update the server
first and then the chroot environment, right?

rgds,

uwe

Alfred Nutile 10-10-2008 10:44 AM

8.04 ltsp +slow

Is someone going to post
a fix to NBD_SWAP = True
on the LTSP.org site or the Edubuntu wiki?
If someone write is to me I can do it as well?
--
Alfred Nutile
River Valley Tech Collective

Jordan Erickson 10-10-2008 04:24 PM

8.04 ltsp +slow

Uwe Geercken wrote:
> where should I check for the NDB_SWAP=True parameter?

It goes in lts.conf - check out
http://www.ltsp.org/~sbalneav/LTSPManual.html#customizing-ltsconf for
way more info on lts.conf and how to customize client behavior.

> one more question. we did not have internet access so far. so I never
> did any updates on the server. the software I made available through a
> local mirror I set up in case I needed to install additional software.
> when I update the server, I would assume, that I update the server
> first and then the chroot environment, right?

That would be fine, yes. Most would assume to update the server itself
first. I don't think it should matter *which* you update first, though,
as long as there isn't activity going on (since you'll most likely have
to reboot due to kernel upgrades, etc.)

Cheers,
Jordan/Lns