Old 10-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Dean Mumby

Default Adobe Acrobat Reader Super Slow

Has anyone else experienced really slow working with Adobe reader. If I
try open more than one document it goes slow , when I print it takes for
ever to go back to the document. When I try save a document from a web
link it takes for ever to read through the file system in nautilus to
see where you want to save it.

This is working from the thin client with hardy ltsp installed and
working stably and LDM_DIRECT=Y

It is really frustrating.

Regards
Dean

Old 10-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008, Dean Mumby wrote:

> Has anyone else experienced really slow working with Adobe reader. If I
> try open more than one document it goes slow , when I print it takes for
> ever to go back to the document. When I try save a document from a web
> link it takes for ever to read through the file system in nautilus to
> see where you want to save it.

Sadly as Acrobat Reader is proprietary, these kind of things can be pretty
difficult to track down.

Out of curiosity is there a reason you aren't using Evince, the standard
gnome document viewer?

Gavin

Old 10-08-2008, 10:25 AM
Dean Mumby

Gavin McCullagh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 08 Oct 2008, Dean Mumby wrote:
>

>> Has anyone else experienced really slow working with Adobe reader. If I
>> try open more than one document it goes slow , when I print it takes for
>> ever to go back to the document. When I try save a document from a web
>> link it takes for ever to read through the file system in nautilus to
>> see where you want to save it.
>>

> Sadly as Acrobat Reader is proprietary, these kind of things can be pretty
> difficult to track down.
>
> Out of curiosity is there a reason you aren't using Evince, the standard
> gnome document viewer?

It doesn't do a very good job of printing pdfs( font issues and funny
lines and dots) even hough it is much faster for reading them

Old 10-08-2008, 10:34 AM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008, Dean Mumby wrote:

> Gavin McCullagh wrote:

> > Out of curiosity is there a reason you aren't using Evince, the standard
> > gnome document viewer?
> >
> It doesn't do a very good job of printing pdfs( font issues and funny
> lines and dots) even hough it is much faster for reading them

That's disappointing. It might be more productive (or at least as
productive) to try and track that issue down at the same time. Do you have
an example problem document you could give us?

Gavin

Old 10-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008, Gavin McCullagh wrote:

> That's disappointing. It might be more productive (or at least as
> productive) to try and track that issue down at the same time. Do you have
> an example problem document you could give us?

A little off-list discussion ensued. As the document is sensitive, Dean
can't pass it on. However, running

pdftops thefile.pdf thefile.ps
lp thefile.ps

worked around the issue. Unfortunately, reporting a bug to the evince devs
without the document as an example may be difficult.

Dean: have you tried xpdf? It's not particularly pretty, but is pretty
reliable. If it worked, you'd at least have a graphical application which
users could print from and which didn't have speed issues.

Gavin