Old 10-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Luis Montes

Default system still crawling.... help

Luis Montes wrote:
> Gavin McCullagh wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, 01 Oct 2008, Luis Montes wrote:
>>
>> Agreed. Can you look back through /var/log/syslog and /var/log/messages
>> during the time and see if there's anything that might indicate the source
>> of the issue?
>>
>> One possibility might be a rogue process hogging all system RAM which
>> eventually might have been killed by the kernel (that kill would be
>> logged). There are many more possibilities though.
>>

> Looks like there's been over 5000 errors like this:
> "Oct 1 09:32:24 192.168.0.61 kernel: [152372.345437] end_request: I/O
> error, dev nbd0, sector 200314"
> since yesterday morning.
>

>> As far as I know, in LTSP5 gdm is not needed. It was in LTSP4 because gdm
>> was what the clients connected to. However, as the client runs its own
>> display manager and starts a session over ssh, I don't think gdm running
>> is necessary. Presumably you've observed something that makes you think it
>> is?
>>
>> Gavin
>>

> GDM hanging definitely stops the thin clients from booting up. This is a
> little harder for me to debug because I don't yet quite get exactly how
> the new event based launcher works.
> What happened monday was that apparently X stopped liking (maybe there
> was an update) my server's ATI ES 1000. I finally was able to switch to
> framebuffer and that got passed "Starting Gnome display manager", which
> then allowed some other service to start which allowed the thin clients
> to boot.
>
> Luis

Ok guys I'm still dead in the water. So how do I go about just not using
NBD at all? What's the 8.04 default?
I thought that swap over network was for thin clients with very low ram.
All of mine have at least 128MB isn't that enough?

Thanks,

Luis

Old 10-05-2008, 05:06 PM
francois

Le dimanche 05 octobre 2008 à 09:13 -0700, Luis Montes a écrit :
> Ok guys I'm still dead in the water. So how do I go about just not
> using
> NBD at all? What's the 8.04 default?
> I thought that swap over network was for thin clients with very low
> ram.
> All of mine have at least 128MB isn't that enough?

Could things improve with some options
in /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/lts.conf

There you can choose to use NBD swap or not.

http://doc.edubuntu-fr.org/clientleger_lts.conf
(in french, I'm sorry).

François

Old 10-06-2008, 02:18 AM
Jordan Erickson

Luis Montes wrote:
> Luis Montes wrote:
>
>> Gavin McCullagh wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> On Wed, 01 Oct 2008, Luis Montes wrote:
>>>
>>> Agreed. Can you look back through /var/log/syslog and /var/log/messages
>>> during the time and see if there's anything that might indicate the source
>>> of the issue?
>>>
>>> One possibility might be a rogue process hogging all system RAM which
>>> eventually might have been killed by the kernel (that kill would be
>>> logged). There are many more possibilities though.
>>>

>> Looks like there's been over 5000 errors like this:
>> "Oct 1 09:32:24 192.168.0.61 kernel: [152372.345437] end_request: I/O
>> error, dev nbd0, sector 200314"
>> since yesterday morning.
>>

>>> As far as I know, in LTSP5 gdm is not needed. It was in LTSP4 because gdm
>>> was what the clients connected to. However, as the client runs its own
>>> display manager and starts a session over ssh, I don't think gdm running
>>> is necessary. Presumably you've observed something that makes you think it
>>> is?
>>>
>>> Gavin
>>>

>> GDM hanging definitely stops the thin clients from booting up. This is a
>> little harder for me to debug because I don't yet quite get exactly how
>> the new event based launcher works.
>> What happened monday was that apparently X stopped liking (maybe there
>> was an update) my server's ATI ES 1000. I finally was able to switch to
>> framebuffer and that got passed "Starting Gnome display manager", which
>> then allowed some other service to start which allowed the thin clients
>> to boot.
>>
>> Luis
>>

> Ok guys I'm still dead in the water. So how do I go about just not using
> NBD at all? What's the 8.04 default?
> I thought that swap over network was for thin clients with very low ram.
> All of mine have at least 128MB isn't that enough?

Are those NBD logs still happening frequently?

I wouldn't say 128MB is enough, no. Not for things like Firefox / OOo,
since they take their fair share (getting better though) of local X
server RAM (which is on the client). Of course it should be plenty to
get to an LDM login prompt, though.

Have you tried updating your chroot to the latest packages? I apologize
if you've said you did in an earlier post.. but if you haven't try
looking here - it's fixed a few problems for me recently involving
NBD_SWAP issues: http://lns.wikidot.com/ltspchrootfixsources - I would
also like to know if that page contains any errors since I wrote it just
last week.

Cheers,
Jordan/Lns

Old 10-06-2008, 08:33 AM
Luis Montes

Jordan Erickson wrote:

> Are those NBD logs still happening frequently?

Constantly. Even after doing the standard ltsp-update-image

> I wouldn't say 128MB is enough, no. Not for things like Firefox / OOo,
> since they take their fair share (getting better though) of local X
> server RAM (which is on the client). Of course it should be plenty to
> get to an LDM login prompt, though.

That's a shame. I used to be able to get away with 64MB on some of my
older thin clients.

> Have you tried updating your chroot to the latest packages? I
> apologize if you've said you did in an earlier post.. but if you
> haven't try looking here - it's fixed a few problems for me recently
> involving NBD_SWAP issues: http://lns.wikidot.com/ltspchrootfixsources
> - I would also like to know if that page contains any errors since I
> wrote it just last week.

This is excellent information. I'll try it out first thing in the
morning. Thanks for documenting it.

Unfortunately gdm is still giving me problems (server hanging on
"Starting Gnome Display Manager"), and I still think I need to get
passed that on the server before the thin clients will come back online.

Luis

Old 10-06-2008, 12:55 PM
"David Van Assche"

If you are unable to login from the server, it could have something to
do with user sessions. There are lots of things that can cause
hiccups, like wrong permissions for home folders, strange permission
settings for /tmp, ssh misconfiguartion, etc. You can check this by
looking at the .xsession-errors file in the user (u are trying to
login with) home dir.

Kind Regards,
David Van Assche