-   -   system still crawling.... (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/169877-system-still-crawling.html)

Luis Montes 10-02-2008 08:49 PM

system still crawling....

Luis Montes wrote:
> Gavin McCullagh wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, 01 Oct 2008, Luis Montes wrote:
>> Agreed. Can you look back through /var/log/syslog and
>> /var/log/messages
>> during the time and see if there's anything that might indicate the
>> source
>> of the issue?
>>
>> One possibility might be a rogue process hogging all system RAM which
>> eventually might have been killed by the kernel (that kill would be
>> logged). There are many more possibilities though.
>>

> Looks like there's been over 5000 errors like this:
> "Oct 1 09:32:24 192.168.0.61 kernel: [152372.345437] end_request: I/O
> error, dev nbd0, sector 200314"
> since yesterday morning.
>

>> As far as I know, in LTSP5 gdm is not needed. It was in LTSP4
>> because gdm
>> was what the clients connected to. However, as the client runs its own
>> display manager and starts a session over ssh, I don't think gdm running
>> is necessary. Presumably you've observed something that makes you
>> think it
>> is?
>>
>> Gavin
>>

> GDM hanging definitely stops the thin clients from booting up. This is
> a little harder for me to debug because I don't yet quite get exactly
> how the new event based launcher works.
> What happened monday was that apparently X stopped liking (maybe there
> was an update) my server's ATI ES 1000. I finally was able to switch
> to framebuffer and that got passed "Starting Gnome display manager",
> which then allowed some other service to start which allowed the thin
> clients to boot.
>
> Luis

Now the machine slowed to a crawl. Must be this nbd stuff. And the best
part... I'm somehow back to the non working video driver and gdm hanging
again.

This have been by far the worst year for LTSP at the school. Uptime has
been about 50% and we're a quarter in. In the past I've been able to fix
things in my spare time as a volunteer. This year it seems I'm there
every night.

Luis

Jordan Erickson 10-02-2008 09:09 PM

system still crawling....

Luis,

This might sound trivial, but I'm not sure if you'd mentioned you'd
completely rebuilt your chroot from scratch as a troubleshooting step.

Are you using the complete Edubuntu i386 install, or is it only the i386
kernel you're using? You'd mentioned in your first post that you were
using the 32-bit kernel.

This issue looks like it has some in common with yours:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/edubuntu-users/2008-September/004532.html

Cheers,
Jordan/Lns

Luis Montes 10-02-2008 09:50 PM

system still crawling....

Thanks for the reply, this does look similar.

However, it's a normal 32-bit i386 install with the server kernel to
address more ram. No 64bit binaries anywhere on the system.
I thought about going 64 bit but decided against it because of adobe flash.
The chroot was built fresh after the install was complete.

Luis