Old 12-11-2007, 12:52 AM
Jeremy Visser

Default "Default" session in LDM not logging in, only gnome-session works

I'm having the same issue as this guy, who didn't get any replies to his
issue:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/edubuntu-devel/2007-November/002442.html

If I log in with LDM, and I don't select a session to log in with (or
select the Default session in the selector), after I enter my
username/password, the screen goes blank (indicating this is not an SSH
problem), and after about 5 seconds, dumps me back to the LDM login
screen.

If I select "gnome-session" from the selector, GNOME logs in fine.
(Actually, it throws an error about gnome-settings-daemon not coming up,
requiring me to run it manually after login, but I think that's a
different issue.)

Where can I change what the "Default" session points to? Obviously, it
points to something non-existant, so if I could somehow get it to point
to gnome-session, that would fix it.

Thanks,
Jeremy.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:18 AM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
On Di, 2007-12-11 at 12:52 +1100, Jeremy Visser wrote:
> If I log in with LDM, and I don't select a session to log in with (or
> select the Default session in the selector), after I enter my
> username/password, the screen goes blank (indicating this is not an SSH
> problem), and after about 5 seconds, dumps me back to the LDM login
> screen.
the default session is whatever is set up in the system as
x-session-manager ...

sudo update-alternatives --config x-session-manager

will give you the option to change the setting for it (i suspect you
installed something that changed the setting and didnt properly switch
it back when you uninstalled the package)

for more info (since the prob doesnt seem ltsp related at all) have a
look in the users .xsession-errors file

ciao
oli

Old 12-11-2007, 09:27 PM
Jeremy Visser

Interestingly, there is only one alternative registered for
x-session-manager, and it is _already_ set to gnome-session.

I took your advice, and looked at .xsession-errors. Sure enough, Sabayon
was spitting some errors. I removed the 'sabayon' package, logged in,
and now it is back to normal.

Interestingly, my gnome-settings-daemon errors disappeared too.

Now, why would executing /etc/alternatives/x-session-manager be any
different to executing /usr/bin/gnome-session, especially when they are
symlinked to each other?

Anyway, thanks for the pointers.
Jeremy.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:06 PM
dirk

Hi,

I have a similar failure:
Oliver Grawert schrieb am 11.12.2007 12:18:
> hi,
> On Di, 2007-12-11 at 12:52 +1100, Jeremy Visser wrote:
>
>> If I log in with LDM, and I don't select a session to log in with (or
>> select the Default session in the selector), after I enter my
>> username/password, the screen goes blank (indicating this is not an SSH
>> problem), and after about 5 seconds, dumps me back to the LDM login
>> screen.
>>
> the default session is whatever is set up in the system as
> x-session-manager ...
>
> sudo update-alternatives --config x-session-manager

~# update-alternatives --config x-session-manager

Es gibt nur 1 Programm, welches x-session-manager bereitstellt
(/usr/bin/startkde). Nichts zu konfigurieren.

So, it tells me, that kde is the default. But the users get the
"failsafe xterm"-Session when they log in.

I wanted to get rid of all the other sessions exept of kde, because we
use kiosk-admin-tool to restrict the users, that only works with kde.
makes no sence to let them login into the other sessions then. ;-)

So I looked and ask how to disable this "session"-menu, but no easy way
found.
I renamed f.e. /usr/bin/gnome-session - so it it wasn't shown anymore.
Two entries in that session-menu are still alive: failsafe and kde.

they get always that failsafe.

What can I do
a. to get kde as the default
b. get rid of that menu.