Old 09-29-2008, 03:40 PM
"Tim Boyden"

Default Client DHCP configuration?

Hi All,

I am attempting to setup an Edubuntu 8.04.1 LTSP test environment on our
network that already contains a DNS server run by our parent company
that we have no control over.

The initial test client which is specified by MAC address in the
dhcpd.conf file gets and IP address initially from the LTSP server,
boots pxelinux, and then does another DHCP request this time taking a
response from the corporate DHCP server which causes the client to not
boot Edubuntu (boots to Busy Box).

Based on man dhclient.conf, I can add commands to ignore the corporate
DHCP server, but I'm assuming I'd have to rebuild the client image for
the client to use this file. Is there a way to include the same
configuration info in lts.conf?

Thanks for your help on this.

Regards,

Tim Boyden

Old 09-29-2008, 04:02 PM
"Tim Boyden"

Additional info...

Attempted to add network configuration to dhclient.conf and rebuild
client image. Client still boots to Busy Box. So apparently that's not
the network configuration used by the client during the initial boot.

The client so far loads pxelinux.cfg/default, then loads vmlinuz, then
initrd.img, says ready, then Loading, please wait and does another DHCP
request. What file controls the network settings for this DHCP request
by the client at this point in the boot process?

Thanks,

Tim