Old 12-10-2007, 04:53 PM
"Timothy Boyden"

Default Edubuntu LTSP Netboot Client Setup

Hello,
*
I'm trying out
Edubuntu 7.10 server with some netboot clients and have run into a snag. The
netboot client (Thinkpad T22 with PXE) is able to connect to the server, gets an
IP address, loads vmlinuz and loads initrd.img, I get a "Ready." message and
then just a blinking cursor and get no further. I've left it running for over an
hour so I don't think it is just being slow. It's connected to a gigabit network
and the server is a dual processor 3 Ghz Intel with 4 GB of
RAM.
*
Not sure what to
troubleshoot for a solution. Can anyone help me out with a
clue?
*
Thanks,
*
Tim*

Old 12-10-2007, 05:14 PM
Asmo Koskinen

Timothy Boyden kirjoitti:
> Not sure what to troubleshoot for a solution. Can anyone help me out
> with a clue?

I believe you do not have enough memory for X, I found this piece of
information about T22:

"S3 Savage/IX graphics chip with 8MB of SGRAM" - is that true?

I do have Jammin 225:

http://www.disklessworkstations.com/web/documentation/ltsp_term-j225.pdf

It worked very with LTSP 4.2 but not anymore with LTSP5. So I did drop
it out, time to move on with more powerful thin clients.

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:26 PM
"David Trask"

"Timothy Boyden" <tboyden@supercoups.com> writes:
>Can anyone help me out with a clue?

Colonel Mustard in the library with a candlestick (sorry couldn't
resist) If you've never played the board game "Clue" then you won't get
this "joke".

Now to address your issue....you simply may not have enough memory to
start X. Can you give us some more info on the specs of the Thinkpad?

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Director
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask@vcsvikings.org
(207)923-3100

Old 12-10-2007, 05:52 PM
"Timothy Boyden"

LOL, humor is still alive I guess.

I got a little farther than my previous post. I rebooted and re-enabled
the hard drive, this allowed me to get to an (initramfs) prompt under
busybox which I assume is a secondary bootloader. But still no Edubuntu
GUI.

Specs are:

IBM T22 Thinkpad
Pentium 3 900 Mhz processor
128 MB RAM
20 GB Hard Drive
Video: S3 Savage/IX, 8 MB VRAM

It very well could be insufficient memory, and if that is the case, what
should be the "real world" specs for thin client hardware? From my past
experience with dedicated thin client hardware, most only had about a
300 Mhz proccessor with 64 or 128 Mb RAM and 8, maybe 16 Mb of VRAM?

I purposely tried to use some low-end hardware to see what the limits
are. I was going to go with a T20, but I guess I would've been pushing
it apparently. I don't understand the need to have the hard drive
enabled though, because that kind of defeats the purpose of a diskless
client, though I suppose it could be the memory issue again as the
reason for that. I'll have to try this with an IBM ThinkCentre M50
desktop and see how far I get.

Thanks,

Tim

Old 12-10-2007, 06:03 PM
"R. Scott Belford"

Timothy Boyden wrote:
> LOL, humor is still alive I guess.
>
> I got a little farther than my previous post. I rebooted and re-enabled
> the hard drive, this allowed me to get to an (initramfs) prompt under
> busybox which I assume is a secondary bootloader. But still no Edubuntu
> GUI.
>
> Specs are:
>
> IBM T22 Thinkpad
> Pentium 3 900 Mhz processor
> 128 MB RAM
> 20 GB Hard Drive
> Video: S3 Savage/IX, 8 MB VRAM
>
> It very well could be insufficient memory, and if that is the case, what
> should be the "real world" specs for thin client hardware? From my past
> experience with dedicated thin client hardware, most only had about a
> 300 Mhz proccessor with 64 or 128 Mb RAM and 8, maybe 16 Mb of VRAM?

I believe your problem is with the default color depth. Your client and
its video card are adequate. Try creating an lts.conf file that has the
following

[default]
X_COLOR_DEPTH=16
LDM_DIRECTX=True
X_MODE_0=1024x768
LOCALDEV=True
SOUND=True
NBD_SWAP=True
SYSLOG_HOST=server

lts.conf belongs in /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386

Something similar was addressed here

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/edubuntu-users/2007-December/002929.html

> I purposely tried to use some low-end hardware to see what the limits
> are. I was going to go with a T20, but I guess I would've been pushing
> it apparently. I don't understand the need to have the hard drive
> enabled though, because that kind of defeats the purpose of a diskless
> client, though I suppose it could be the memory issue again as the
> reason for that. I'll have to try this with an IBM ThinkCentre M50
> desktop and see how far I get.

By default 7.10 will not work with some of the very hardware supported
by 7.04, the K12LTSP (all versions) and Debian-Edu. It's a rather
monumental and unsolved bug.

> Thanks,
>
> Tim

--scott
--
R. Scott Belford
Founder/Executive Director

Old 12-10-2007, 06:16 PM
"Marcus"

On Mon, December 10, 2007 18:52, Timothy Boyden wrote:
> I got a little farther than my previous post. I rebooted and
> re-enabled the hard drive, this allowed me to get to an
> (initramfs) prompt under
> busybox which I assume is a secondary bootloader. But still no
> Edubuntu
> GUI.

I have the same T22 laptop and I have run Debian with KDE or
Kubuntu. 256MB are better, but it was perfectly usable with
Sarge and KDE with 128MB, even ran Win2000 fast.

I am at the same place as you, but it's not the T22 at fault, I
don't think. A real diskless thin client behaves exactly the
the same. I disabled the splash screen (pxelinux.cfg) which
shows that actually the system cannot mount, but more info you
get.

Let me know if you make any progress.

nibl

Old 12-10-2007, 07:25 PM
"Timothy Boyden"

Thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately it didn't work. I'm downloading 7.04 now and will see if
that resolves the issue. Seems there is a lot of issues with 7.10.

I've got it running under VMWare server, so no big deal. Like I said,
I'm just testing for now.

Thanks everyone!

> I got a little farther than my previous post. I rebooted and
> re-enabled the hard drive, this allowed me to get to an (initramfs)
> prompt under busybox which I assume is a secondary bootloader. But
> still no Edubuntu GUI.
>
> Specs are:
>
> IBM T22 Thinkpad
> Pentium 3 900 Mhz processor
> 128 MB RAM
> 20 GB Hard Drive
> Video: S3 Savage/IX, 8 MB VRAM
>
> It very well could be insufficient memory, and if that is the case,
> what should be the "real world" specs for thin client hardware? From
> my past experience with dedicated thin client hardware, most only had
> about a 300 Mhz proccessor with 64 or 128 Mb RAM and 8, maybe 16 Mb of
VRAM?

I believe your problem is with the default color depth. Your client and
its video card are adequate. Try creating an lts.conf file that has the
following

[default]
X_COLOR_DEPTH=16
LDM_DIRECTX=True
X_MODE_0=1024x768
LOCALDEV=True
SOUND=True
NBD_SWAP=True
SYSLOG_HOST=server

lts.conf belongs in /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386

Something similar was addressed here

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/edubuntu-users/2007-December/002929.ht
ml

> I purposely tried to use some low-end hardware to see what the limits
> are. I was going to go with a T20, but I guess I would've been pushing

> it apparently. I don't understand the need to have the hard drive
> enabled though, because that kind of defeats the purpose of a diskless

> client, though I suppose it could be the memory issue again as the
> reason for that. I'll have to try this with an IBM ThinkCentre M50
> desktop and see how far I get.

By default 7.10 will not work with some of the very hardware supported
by 7.04, the K12LTSP (all versions) and Debian-Edu. It's a rather
monumental and unsolved bug.

> Thanks,
>
> Tim

--scott