Old 09-21-2008, 10:00 PM
"Vincent Yau"

Default DVD playback

Hi:

I am using the latest Edubuntu (Hardy 8.04).

When I tried to play DVD, the screens are all scrambled.* These are legitimate DVDs I bought in stores.
When I play the same DVD on my macbook, it works fine.

I tried using Totem or VLC and same result.* The DVD drives work as I can duplicate DVD discs with basero.
I can also play other videos (Real, MP4, MP3 etc..) when they are a file.

Am I missing some specific codecs that are required for playing DVD when they are a disc?

Thanks

--Vincent

Old 09-21-2008, 10:14 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008, Vincent Yau wrote:

> When I tried to play DVD, the screens are all scrambled. These are
> legitimate DVDs I bought in stores.
> When I play the same DVD on my macbook, it works fine.

Most movies sold on DVD are encrypted using a scheme called CSS. These is
a library for Linux, sometimes called DeCSS, libcss or libdvdcss2. This
package allows Linux video programs to decrypt the DVD and play it. If you
don't already have this, you're going to need it.

As there are questions about the legality of libdvdcss2, ubuntu cannot
redistribute it. It's not too tough to install though.

Load this link and go to the section headed "Install libdvdcss2 and w32
video codecs in Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron)" and all should become a little
clearer.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/install-mplayer-and-multimedia-codecs-libdvdcss2w32codecsw64codecs-in-ubuntu-804-hardy-heron.html

Gavin

Old 09-21-2008, 11:00 PM
"Vincent Yau"

Thanks Gavin.* This libcss did the trick and I am able to play the same DVD disc now.

--Vincent

Old 09-22-2008, 08:18 AM
Fabian Rodriguez

Gavin McCullagh wrote:
> Most movies sold on DVD are encrypted using a scheme called CSS. [...]
> Load this link and go to the section headed "Install libdvdcss2 and w32
> video codecs in Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron)" and all should become a little
> clearer.

Hmmm... no need to add third-party unsupported repositories for DVD
playback in Hardy 8.04.1 LTS.

Please see:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs

Remember depending on where you're doing this it may not be legal. This
is may be of particular in terest in an educational environment.
Although getting a license for codecs from Fluendo may help with most
media formats, I am not aware of a DVD playback license you could get
the same way. See:
https://shop.fluendo.com
http://www.linux.com/feature/143418

Although I am not a lawyer, the closest I'd see to having a legal way to
watch such movies in a large Edubuntu install if you have indeed rights
for public screening, etc. for such DVDs would be to encode them in the
Ogg Theora free format. Thoggen (package name thoggen) and ffmpeg2theora
will help, you would still have to install libdvdcss on at least one
system to perform the conversion or do the conversion on a system that
has licensed DVD playback (most DVD readed on Windows come with such
licenses in their software).

I believe Copyright law here in Canada has provisions for such
exceptions (ie. conversion of a format), however check your local laws.

Cheers,

Fabian Rodriguez, Ubuntu Systems Senior Support Analyst
Canonical Ltd., Global Support & Services
http://www.canonical.com/services/support
Montreal, QC, Canada

Old 09-22-2008, 09:57 AM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008, Fabian Rodriguez wrote:

> Hmmm... no need to add third-party unsupported repositories for DVD
> playback in Hardy 8.04.1 LTS.
>
> Please see:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs

Ah, thanks for the correction!