Old 09-19-2008, 10:27 PM
Mike White

Default Help! I killed my GUI!

Edubuntu 7.10: I removed some packages through synaptic
package manager and rebooted a few of the LTSP clients. Now I can boot them up
to a login screen, but once I login the screen is black with only a mouse
cursor.

*

Is there a way to get to the command line interface to
back-track and restore some of the removed packages?

*

Michael
White

Bradshaw Christian School

Technology Coordinator

mwhite@bradshawchristian.com

P. (916) 204-8054

*

Old 09-19-2008, 11:12 PM
Scott Balneaves

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 03:27:51PM -0700, Mike White wrote:
> Edubuntu 7.10: I removed some packages through synaptic package manager and rebooted a few of the LTSP clients. Now I can boot them up to a login screen, but once I login the screen is black with only a mouse cursor.
>
> Is there a way to get to the command line interface to back-track and restore some of the removed packages?

You'll probably want to try apt-get install edubuntu-desktop.

What packages did you remove?

Cheers,
Scott

--
Scott L. Balneaves | "There are many causes I am prepared to die for,
Systems Department | but no causes I am prepared to kill for."

Old 09-19-2008, 11:29 PM
Mike White

How do I get to the command line to run apt-get?

Old 09-19-2008, 11:30 PM
Mario

CTRL+ALT+F1 should work.

KR,
M.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:36 PM
Jordan Erickson

Mike,

On the server - Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal

Or, CTRL+ALT+F1. Make sure you're running from the LTSP server though,
as CTRL+ALT+F1 from a thin-client will only give you the tty for the
chroot - which isn't where we want to re-install edubuntu-desktop.

Cheers,
Jordan

Old 09-19-2008, 11:59 PM
Mike White

Excellent. Thank you. Now I receive "E: Broken Packages" when I run sudo apt-get install edubuntu-desktop

Old 09-20-2008, 06:26 AM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008, Mike White wrote:

> Excellent. Thank you. Now I receive "E: Broken Packages" when I run sudo
> apt-get install edubuntu-desktop

You may need to do this first:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

to configure any half-installed packages, then
sudo aptitude install edubuntu-desktop

as aptitude is a little smarter than apt-get it comes to resolving certain
issues.

Gavin