Old 09-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Asmo Koskinen

Default Root, chroot and usb devices

Hi,

I have this page about root, chroot and usb devices.

http://wiki.ubuntu-fi.org/LTSP5_Chroot

I can login as root from console (ctrl-alt-f1) or with ssh access.

I can see usb stick and camera on the chroot (dmesg) and them pop up to
the client's desktop. So far so good, lots of copy-paste on that wiki page.

But how about usb cd-writer? What makes different? I can see that on the
chroot and even eject device, but thin client (login as ltsp001) can't
see it?

http://wiki.ubuntu-fi.org/LTSP5_Chroot#head-045eecde5b25c39e909322c87ae77af8cc62c9c2

I do not need that kind of device, but maybe someone needs.

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:29 PM
Asmo Koskinen

Asmo Koskinen kirjoitti:

> But how about usb cd-writer? What makes different? I can see that on the
> chroot and even eject device, but thin client (login as ltsp001) can't
> see it?

I can use device as a reader:

http://www.arkki.info/howto/Wiki/LTSP5/Ubuntu_8.04.1_USB_Cdrom_01.png

I was wondering about writing to the empty cd.

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:24 PM
Asmo Koskinen

Well, I can create ssh key pair for remote access and it works once. It
is not permanent. When thin client boot again public key is away.

This works only once:

asmok@ubuntu:~$ ssh root@192.168.1.244 'shutdown -h now'
asmok@ubuntu:~$

http://wiki.ubuntu-fi.org/LTSP5_Chroot#head-80ce382353305175117246dbd44e589fe738429e

If it is possible to keep public key permanently available then there
can be a script that shutdown all clients at the end of the day with cron.

Just wondering again.

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.