Old 09-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Asmo Koskinen

Default iTalc and Ubuntu 8.04.1/LTSP5

I made today iTalc page in finnish:

http://wiki.ubuntu-fi.org/LTSP5_iTalc

iTalc is available in finnish, great!

There are some highlights for what I did for this installation.

1. I made installation from the source (1.0.9). I know that there is
deb-packages for 8.04 and 8.10, but I liked to learn little bit more
about iTalc.

https://launchpad.net/~edubuntu-italc-devel/+archive

2. I copied public directory to the /opt/ltsp directory.

asmok@ubuntu:~$ ls -al /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/italc/keys/public/teacher/key
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 590 2008-09-11 20:55
/opt/ltsp/i386/etc/italc/keys/public/teacher/key
asmok@ubuntu:~$

3. I changed isdport for from 5800 to 5900. This script uses
/usr/local/bin directory.

http://www.arkki.info/howto/iTalc/start_ica

Now I was able to use iTalc.

I added server:
http://www.arkki.info/howto/iTalc/iTalc_01.png

I added client:
http://www.arkki.info/howto/iTalc/iTalc_02.png
http://www.arkki.info/howto/iTalc/iTalc_03.png

I send message to the client:

http://www.arkki.info/howto/iTalc/iTalc_04.png
http://www.arkki.info/howto/iTalc/iTalc_05.png

These howto's helped me:

http://indianalinux.blogspot.com/2007/02/howto-install-italc-from-source-on.html
http://italc.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?title=ITALC_in_a_ThinClient_environment
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/edubuntu-users/2008-May/004101.html

----

I do not know how iTalc works with lots of clients, I will try that next
week in Mšntykangas school.

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:20 PM
Asmo Koskinen

Asmo Koskinen kirjoitti:

> Now I was able to use iTalc.

I tested iTalc on the Ubuntu 8.10 Alternate Alpha 5 with ppa/deb-packages.

This time I used isdport 5800 in the start_ica-script. I have installed
Vinagre with X11Vnc on the Alpha 5:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/InstallX11VncOnLtspClients

Both ica and start_ica warned about ports, but everything worked out
anyway. And I was able to use Vinagre same time.

----
Server:

"ltsp@ubuntu:~$ ica &
[1] 8412
ltsp@ubuntu:~$ pe syys 12 16:26:16 2008: [critical]
isdServer::isdServer(...): could not start ISD server: The bound address
is already in use
pe syys 12 16:26:16 2008: [warning] ISD-palvelinta ei voitu
käynnistää koska portti 5800 on jo käytössä. Tarkista, ettei
mikään muu sovellus käytä porttia ja kokeile uudestaan."

Client:

"ltsp001@ubuntu:~$ start_ica &
[1] 8451
ltsp001@ubuntu:~$ pe syys 12 16:26:56 2008: [critical]
isdServer::isdServer(...): could not start ISD server: The bound address
is already in use
pe syys 12 16:26:56 2008: [warning] ISD-palvelinta ei voitu
käynnistää koska portti 11401 on jo käytössä. Tarkista, ettei
mikään muu sovellus käytä porttia ja kokeile uudestaan."

----
Message from server to the client, client's address is
"localhost:11001", it's ip is 192.168.1.150 this time.

http://www.arkki.info/howto/iTalc/iTalc_06.png

Vinagre works same time with iTalc:

http://www.arkki.info/howto/iTalc/iTalc_07.png

Best Reagrds Asmo Koskinen.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Asmo Koskinen

Asmo Koskinen kirjoitti:

> I tested iTalc on the Ubuntu 8.10 Alternate Alpha 5 with ppa/deb-packages.
>
> This time I used isdport 5800 in the start_ica-script. I have installed
> Vinagre with X11Vnc on the Alpha 5:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/InstallX11VncOnLtspClients
>
> Both ica and start_ica warned about ports, but everything worked out
> anyway. And I was able to use Vinagre same time.

I installed X11Vnc in the chroot for Vinagre - Ubuntu 8.04.1. If I keep
this line "my $isdport = 5900;" in the start_ica-script, there is no
warnings and I can use iTalc and Vinagre same time.

http://www.arkki.info/howto/iTalc/iTalc_08.png

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:12 PM
"David Van Assche"

I've been testing the latest Italc too, on our hardy production
server, and its a serious improvement in usability from the previous
version. My teachers noticed the difference right away. The option to
message using avahi is great too. Now, when there is a problem, a
message to the support tech or teacher is easy enough.

I did the installation by downloading the debs on the launchpad page
and installed with dpkg... worked straight away.

Kind Regards,
David Van Assche