Old 09-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Pierre Yann Baco

Default ldm numlock (was: Ubuntu-ltsp is not a mess!)

Scott Balneaves a écrit :

>> - NumLock off: Can't force NumLock ON prior to enter username and
>> password. 8 years old kids (and their teachers...) always forget to
>> press NumLock prior to enter their (often birtdhay date based) password,
>> and login fails until they realize it (sometimes they don't!)
>
> I may be wrong here, but I'm not sure that should be part of LDM. Personally,
> how I've always solved this is by installing the "numlockx" package, and set up
> an Xsession init script. So, create a file called /etc/X11/Xsession.d/80numlock
> with:
>
> numlockx on
>
> in it.
>
> However, if people feel this should be part of LTSP, we can look at adding it.
> Come to think of it, someone may have done this at the recent hackfest, so I
> can check that out, and backport to hardy if it's there.

I've already done this before bothering this list gang. Looks like
scripts added to /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/X11/Xsession.d/ have no effect:
- Installed numlockx after chrooting to /opt/ltsp/i386.
- Tried different script names (as they're handled by run-parts), like
"80custom_numlockx" or "80x11-common_numlockx" (see man Xsession)
- Tried different priorities (10/30/50/70/90)
- Tried different script contents (including "#!/bin/bash" or nothing
else than "/usr/bin/numlockx").

Every change followed by an ltsp-update-image + thin client reboot. Took
me a while...

Finally I renamed "/etc/X11/Xsession.d" to "/etc/X11/Useless", run
ltsp-update-image, rebooted the thin client and shortly after ldm showed
up as usual (still numlock off), although "man Xsession" says somewhere
"Xsession next confirms that its script directory, Xsession.d, exists.
If it does not, the script aborts."

Conclusion: Is the Xsession script and/or
/opt/ltsp/i386/etc/X11/Xsession.d ignored during thin client boot up ?

Pierre

Old 09-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Scott Balneaves

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 07:32:25PM +0200, Pierre Yann Baco wrote:
> Scott Balneaves a écrit :
> Conclusion: Is the Xsession script and/or
> /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/X11/Xsession.d ignored during thin client boot up ?

Neither. Remember: the xsession's on the server, not on the client So you
need to add this to the SERVER's /etc/X11/Xsession.d, not in the client's
/opt/ltsp.....

Cheers,
Scott

--
Scott L. Balneaves | "There are many causes I am prepared to die for,
Systems Department | but no causes I am prepared to kill for."