Old 09-11-2008, 04:51 PM
"Jim Christiansen"

Default moving forward with Ubuntu & Edubuntu -- One new club going online today

I agree that LTSP should be a set of packages that could be installed into any flavor of Ubuntu.* This would reach a broader spectrum of existing Ubuntu users.* Perhaps some sort of critical mass could be reached where it really begins to roll.

Jim

Old 09-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
On Do, 2008-09-11 at 09:51 -0700, Jim Christiansen wrote:
> I agree that LTSP should be a set of packages that could be installed
> into any flavor of Ubuntu. This would reach a broader spectrum of
> existing Ubuntu users. Perhaps some sort of critical mass could be
> reached where it really begins to roll.
this is the case since ltsp5 exists in ubuntu ... (with hardy it even
moved as default option on all alternate CDs for ubuntu, xubuntu [1])

ciao
oli

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/LTSPQuickInstall

Old 09-11-2008, 05:11 PM
"ekul taylor"

The LTSP packages already are packages that can be added to any installation. *The new hardy method of modifying an existing ubuntu desktop installation hides the fact the terminal server functions are provided by only a handful of packages that can be installed in any *buntu flavour.

At a school I moved to edubuntu I used an ubuntu server installation that I then installed the packages xorg-x11, ltsp-server, xfce4, firefox and openoffice on. *ltsp-server pulled in dependencies of the daemons and tools necessary for creating and booting a thin client environment. *This method means each thin client uses less resources and I was able to mostly side step the persistent process problem since none of the gnome applications that cause the issue in the first place are installed.