Old 12-09-2007, 01:40 PM
antonello facchetti

Default update locally

In my edubuntu 7.04 lab I've got some network bandwidth problems when
the machines are updating accessing the internet at the same time.

I'd like to set up a sort of local mirror of the repositories so that
the updating could be done locally.

Is there any howto somewhere to do this?

TIA
Antonello

Old 12-10-2007, 11:57 AM
"Denis Melnikov"

Maybe squid cache will help you?

Denis

Old 12-10-2007, 12:12 PM
Craig Szymanski

----- "antonello facchetti" <antonello.facchetti@alice.it> wrote:
> In my edubuntu 7.04 lab I've got some network bandwidth problems when
>
> the machines are updating accessing the internet at the same time.
>
> I'd like to set up a sort of local mirror of the repositories so
> that
> the updating could be done locally.
>
> Is there any howto somewhere to do this?
I use apt-cacher. When setting this up I read this article...
http://www.debuntu.org/how-to-set-up-a-repository-cache-with-apt-cacher

On the clients I have my /etc/apt/sources.list look something like this putting in the host name or ip of the apt-cacher machine...
# Ubuntu supported packages (packages, GPG key: 437D05B5)
deb http://LocalApt-CacherHere:3142/us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-security universe main multiverse restricted
deb http://LocalApt-CacherHere:3142/us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-updates universe main multiverse restricted
deb http://LocalApt-CacherHere:3142/us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-backports universe main multiverse restricted
deb http://LocalApt-CacherHere:3142/us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy universe main multiverse restricted

> TIA
> Antonello

Thanks,
Craig

Craig Szymanski
Computer Network Manager
Berlin Public Schools
139 Patterson Way
Berlin, CT 06037
cszymanski@berlinschools.org
WWW: http://szone.berlinwall.org/
Educational Resources: http://eduzone.berlinwall.org/
Internet Safety: http://www.berlinwall.org/safety/
Frequently Ask Questions: http://helpdesk.berlinschools.org/faq/
BHS Moodle: http://moodle.berlinwall.org

Old 12-10-2007, 07:52 PM
Karl Goetz

On Sun, 2007-12-09 at 14:40 +0000, antonello facchetti wrote:
> In my edubuntu 7.04 lab I've got some network bandwidth problems when
> the machines are updating accessing the internet at the same time.
>
> I'd like to set up a sort of local mirror of the repositories so that
> the updating could be done locally.
>
> Is there any howto somewhere to do this?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Debmirror
kk

--
Karl Goetz,
Debian user / Ubuntu contributor / gNewSense contributor