Old 09-09-2008, 01:44 PM
"Charles Austin"

Default DHCP server problem

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 7:25 AM, David Ally <david_ally@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi All,
*
After installing LTSP on an Kubuntu desktop machine and building the ltsp client, I update the sshkeys and image. The client are not getting IP address from the server. Mind you installed the ltsp-standalone and openssh.

Did the dhcp3-server package install as part your LTSP installation?* If so, can you post the contents of /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf?
*
*
Help me out with this DHCP sever problem, my clients are not* getting IP address from* the server.
What does the daemon.log file say when you boot a client?* (/var/log/daemon.log)* Log files are always the best place to start looking when you have a problem.

Charles

Old 09-09-2008, 05:31 PM
"Charles Austin"

David,
I am starting a new message because it is rather difficult to sift through the digest to find your answers.* If you are only subscribed to the digest, you may want to update you subscription to get the individual posts.* It makes getting help easier and more timely.

If I understand your response, your /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf file is the default:

##

Default LTSP dhcpd.conf config file.

#

authoritative;

subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {

range 192.168.0.20 192.168.0.250;

option domain&name "example.com";

option domain&name&servers 192.168.0.1;

option broadcast&address 192.168.0.255;

option routers 192.168.0.1;

# next&server 192.168.0.1;

# get&lease&hostnames true;

option subnet&mask 255.255.255.0;

option root&path "/opt/ltsp/i386";

if substring( option vendor&class&identifier, 0, 9 ) = "PXEClient" {

filename "/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.0";

} else {

filename "/ltsp/i386/nbi.img";

}

}

*So the next three things to look at are
(1) Is the server physically connected to the thin client network (all lights on NICs and switches are green)?* It sounds silly, but I have personally spent hours tracking down a layer 1 issue by troubleshooting at layers 4-7.

(1) IP configuration of your box - Have you configured the interface that serves the thin client network in the 192.168.0.0 subnet 255.255.255.0 range?

(2) contents of /var/log/daemon.log - just the lines that come in as you try to boot a client.* Pardon me if you know this already, but you can
#sudo tail -f /var/log/daemon.log to watch what is happening as you boot a client.

Charles