Old 09-06-2008, 06:59 PM
"David Trask"

Default Let me know about Open Source use at your school!

Open Source in Schools Around the World

I'm going to be presenting at several open source in education conferences
throughout the next year. One topic I'd love to share with others is the
extent of open source use in classrooms all over the world. If I may, I'd
like to ask if you can contribute your own story to the vast pool of
experiences from classrooms and schools around the world. I'm interested
in learning about all uses of open source software in schools whether it's
Linux or simply open source applications being used on any operating
system (Linux, Mac OS X, or Windows).

I will NOT publish your story unless you give me permission (see one of
the last questions)....and I will NEVER share your email address or
anything unless you ASK me to.

Thanks for taking the time to let me know about how Free and Open Source
Software is making a difference at your school!

[ http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?key=pE6J52amam9v1Zk_1uOTFZw ]Go
HERE to tell me all about it!

or paste this (
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?key=pE6J52amam9v1Zk_1uOTFZw ) in
your web browser

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Director
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask@vcsvikings.org
(207)923-3100

Old 09-07-2008, 03:22 PM
"M. Fioretti"

On Sat, Sep 06, 2008 14:59:57 PM -0400, David Trask wrote:

> I'm going to be presenting at several open source in education
> conferences throughout the next year. One topic I'd love to share
> with others is the extent of open source use in classrooms all over
> the world. If I may, I'd like to ask if you can contribute your own
> story to the vast pool of experiences from classrooms and schools
> around the world.

1) Have you already contacted the institutions listed in the database
of Digitally Free Schools at http://digifreedom.net/node/55? Those
are all schools who have declared their FOSS preference either in
their official websites or in public interviews, so there's no
permission to ask there, I'd guess. You may just copy the data into
your spreadsheet.

2) On a similar note, you may want to try to contact the schools
listed at http://digifreedom.net/node/117. Beware that some of the
teachers mentioned there would have no objections to appear again
online, they're not good English speakers. Ask me off list for
their contact info when it's not included in the article.

3) I always welcome new links to add to that database. Please David
and all other edubuntu subscribers, let me know whenever there's a
school that I should list, that is a school which "officially"
declares, preferably in its official website, that it prefers Free
formats and software.

HTH,
Marco
software is used *around* you: http://digifreedom.net/node/84

Old 09-08-2008, 04:14 PM
"Jim Christiansen"

Hello David,

We're still using K12LTSP 5- Centos in our school.* We're running about 120 clients off of 4 servers.* Also DNS for about 10 years- omg! off of an old box (that died over the summer- no dns for the world right now...).* A webserver- only internal right now.* What a drag.* We were the top of google searches for years ;-)

That's all I can think of right now.* Our tech dept is still saying we are going to get Linux ripped out of here and that really will be a shame.* I have more than the expected number of students going on to further education in Technology after learning tons of stuff here in my classes.

We do use Crossover in a lab for delivering CadKey and Office (it does run better in Linux than in Windows).* The fellows at Codeweavers are great, by the way.* Don't get me started up talking about running office...* a College sponsored course.

Various stand alones and every notebook has a dual boot for the boggus os and the real one.* Teachers usually use ...* guess which one.

Our network is split up into two networks.* An office network and a student network.** Anything that connects to the student network has linux and others dual boot.

That's about it.

Thanks for all of your help, by the way, that you've given me over the years.* A knowlegable comment or explanation every now and then really has been of such great help for me.

I will be setting up some more powerful Windows boxes to run Pro/E in my design classes and I want to have students access their linux homes to save their work on the ltsp servers.* I may need some hand holding... * Man oh man, I just turned 50 but still feel like a kid!

Thanks again,

Jim