-   -   USB Devices (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/153969-usb-devices.html)

Alistair Crust 09-04-2008 09:03 AM

USB Devices

Hi,
I'm working on a problem where I've just installed 3 new 8.04.1 LTSP
servers and can't get USB Devices to work for users other than locally
created users.

Here is what I have:
1 * Dapper LTS server (vitalstatistix) exporting /home via nfs and
authenticating users with NIS and Samba (for the few win machines we
actually have).
3 * Hardy LTSP servers (asterix,doubleosix,wheatabix) using the above
to mount their home directories and for authentication.

Now on asterix doubleosix and wheatabix, if i log on as a user (a NIS
user) and run id I find that the user is not a member of the fuse group,
however when I check the same on the vitalstatistix i find that I am a
member of the fuse group.

After further inspection it appears that on vitalstatistix the fuse
groups gid is 1133 whereas the fuse group gid on the 3 ltsp servers is
107. Unfortunately I cant change the gid on vitalstatistix because it is
already occupied by the messagebus group.

Any ideas or options anyone can think of to resolve this would be
great.

Kind regards
--
Alistair Crust <alistair@skegnessgrammar.org>
Systems Administrator

"Ville Pöntinen" 09-04-2008 09:46 AM

USB Devices

Hi!

Could this help:

http://tech.canterburyschool.org/tech/UbuntuWorkstations_2fAuthenticationSetup
(Scroll to "Sound, USB, etc access")

"Joep L. Blom" 05-04-2012 09:59 PM

USB devices

I have a problem with the assignation of external USB devices.
I can see all of them in my virtual system (VMware) where they are shoen
and some assigned (and of course I cannot use them in my host
understandably). However, if I disconnect them from my virtual machine,
I don't know how to address them.In older versions of ubuntu it was easy
as USB devices were assigned to /dev/tty/USB0 but now I have found with
lsusb I can only see the Bus # Device # and ID number (and the details
with switch -v) but how the device can be accessed by a program is
unclear for me.

Hardware AMD Phenom II: Ubuntu 10.04.
I hope somebody can clarify this for me.
Joep