Old 09-04-2008, 03:37 AM
"Krsnendu dasa"

Default How to dual boot to ltsp and windows xp

How can I set up some of my machines so there is an option of booting to Windows XP or ltsp.
I have heard someone else has done it on this list. Can you give me some tips.

Actually, it may even be better to triple boot. LTSP, local ubuntu installation (for multimedia etc), or Windows XP.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:54 AM
"george gouvas"

i think triple boot is easier for you. After the local installation of winXP and ubuntu you have to put a file to the boot directory depending from the type of your lan card and config the third choice of booting in the menu.lst (/boot/grub/menu.lst) to boot from this file.

you can download the file from
http://rom-o-matic.net/
the entry of the third choice at my classrooms menu.lst is

*title*** *** Boot from Lan card
root*** *** (hd0,1)

kernel*** *** /boot/eb-5.4.3-rtl8139.zlilo

Old 09-04-2008, 08:50 AM
Gavin McCullagh

On Thu, 04 Sep 2008, Krsnendu dasa wrote:

> How can I set up some of my machines so there is an option of booting to
> Windows XP or ltsp.
> I have heard someone else has done it on this list. Can you give me some
> tips.

When you pxe boot, syslinux starts up before the kernel loads. It can have
a menu with a timeout and you can choose to boot the local hard drive.

Page 12 of this presentation shows and example to pick between two kernels
but you can also have network boot or local boot, etc. Syslinux configures
centrally and you can configure by ranges of mac addresses.

http://www.greenfly.org/talks/pxe/pxe-magic.html

This is the doc I used to get this working:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/LTSPMultiboot

Gavin