Old 09-03-2008, 08:46 AM
"Krsnendu dasa"

Default Windows computers in the midst of Edubuntu Network

I have managed to keep our student network Windows free for a few years now, but there are a few programs that have come back to haunt me and now I have been requested to install some standalone windows desktops. (Just 3 for now.)

They are Shockwave based programs produced by the New Zealand Ministry of Education. I have installed them under Crossover Linux but there are some delays and stuttering problems that make the performance unsatisfactory (even directly on the server it seems.)

There is also a need for standalone workstation for multimedia purposes, (Audigy, MovieMaker etc.)

Enough preamble. Basically, I am looking for the easiest way to deploy these machines. I have 3 identical P4 1.8 GHz 256GbRAM machines. (I am hoping we can soon convert them to Linux workstations (or low fat clients)).

To keep things simple there will be one login per machine. There is no need for user authentication or to mount home directories.

I remember previously that I made image copies and copied them through the network to other machines. I forget the name of the program.

Is there any alternative, like using a virtual machine for example.

Also how do you set up the machines so they dual boot, 1. ltsp client (default) / 2. Windoze XP.

Sorry for being wordy. My wife was talking as I was typing and I couldn't fully concentrate.

Thanks.
Krsnendu dasa

Old 09-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Jordan Erickson

Hi Krsnendu,

I concur re: Shockwave. LTSP + Shockwave/CXOffice = no workie very well.
I had this issue last year when I was testing out a simple Shockwave
site in an LTSP lab of ~35 clients - even 2 running at the same time was
very unstable, and the CXOffice people even told me they would be
surprised if I gave up on the venture. Shockwave Director just isn't fit
for thin-client use, it seems. Flash is making great headway in Linux,
but still could use some improvement to be up to par with their Windows
plugin - but testing 35 simultaneous systems on Flash intensive sites
*did* hog the server CPU - but was actually usable. I would recommend
using standalone workstations for Shockwave use for sure, just based on
my own experience.

Hope that helps a bit, even if just for that one question.

- Jordan