FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Edubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-28-2008, 03:03 PM
john
 
Default how do you get something to run when a user logs on?

Hi all,

I was wondering where I can put scripts that I want to run when a user
logs on to a thin client. I used to put them in /etc/profile but that
doesn't seem to work under Hardy. It seems like LDM is somehow
by-passing the stuff I put there. Can someone help me out?

Thanks!

John

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 08-28-2008, 03:27 PM
Oliver Grawert
 
Default how do you get something to run when a user logs on?

hi,
On Do, 2008-08-28 at 08:03 -0700, john wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering where I can put scripts that I want to run when a user
> logs on to a thin client. I used to put them in /etc/profile but that
> doesn't seem to work under Hardy. It seems like LDM is somehow
> by-passing the stuff I put there. Can someone help me out?
ldm is executing /etc/X11/Xsession by default ... (like gdm or kdm do)
one option would be to put stuff into /etc/X11/Xsession.d, another is to
use the xdg autostart mechanism in /etc/xdg/autostart

ciao
oli
--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 08-28-2008, 08:07 PM
francois
 
Default how do you get something to run when a user logs on?

Le jeudi 28 août 2008 à 08:03 -0700, john a écrit :
> I was wondering where I can put scripts that I want to run when a user
> logs on to a thin client. I used to put them in /etc/profile but that
> doesn't seem to work under Hardy. It seems like LDM is somehow
> by-passing the stuff I put there. Can someone help me out?

I think that the profile read by ltsp client comes from :
/opt/ltsp/i386/etc/profile

but as ltsp 5 uses a squashfs image, you have to run :

sudo ltsp-update-image

if any /opt/ltsp/ file is modified.

(I used this to change the UMASK to 022 to give read/write abilities to
users in the same group).

Hope this will help...

François


--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 08-28-2008, 10:33 PM
john
 
Default how do you get something to run when a user logs on?

Hi oli,

Thanks again for this approach. Is there a story behind the move away
from using /etc/profile and /etc/gdm/PostLogin? I'd be interested in
hearing it.

Thanks!

John

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 8:27 AM, Oliver Grawert <ogra@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> hi,
> On Do, 2008-08-28 at 08:03 -0700, john wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I was wondering where I can put scripts that I want to run when a user
>> logs on to a thin client. I used to put them in /etc/profile but that
>> doesn't seem to work under Hardy. It seems like LDM is somehow
>> by-passing the stuff I put there. Can someone help me out?
> ldm is executing /etc/X11/Xsession by default ... (like gdm or kdm do)
> one option would be to put stuff into /etc/X11/Xsession.d, another is to
> use the xdg autostart mechanism in /etc/xdg/autostart
>
> ciao
> oli
>
> --
> edubuntu-users mailing list
> edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
>
>

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 08-29-2008, 05:24 AM
"David Van Assche"
 
Default how do you get something to run when a user logs on?

In reality, there has been no move away from the standard practices
you describe below. The difference is that we often forget that the
/etc/profile and .../PostLogin are really being read from the user's
chroot (/opt/ltsp/<name-of-chroot>/etc/profile) and that these then
need to be rebuilt using the ltsp-update-image command....

It would be wonderful for more documentation on all this stuff, there
is much that gets taken for granted by ltsp experts but just leaves
most newbies clueless... LTSP is not so logical in what it does until
you understand the entire framework, and I don't believe that even
THAT isn't documented anywhere... I've volunteered to re/write some of
edubuntu classroom handbook by writing this email of course... if
anyone wants to join in, we should coordinate.... I've started by
ripping restructuring so that it becomes an LTSP handbook and not a
edubuntu handbook since most LTSP is the same, and only certain
elements are ubuntu specific (btw.... someone should really tell the
canonical corps to get rid of the edubuntu brand name as it does
nothing now but create confusion.) It doesn't exist as a distro as do
xubuntu and geubuntu and kubuntu... it needs to be restructured
somehow cause I bet its just confusing the hell out of people... I
would love for someone that works with canonical to explain to me,
what edubuntu means to them :-) and please dont say: Its the 2nd CD
with all the educactional software.)

David

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 12:33 AM, john <lists.john@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi oli,
>
> Thanks again for this approach. Is there a story behind the move away
> from using /etc/profile and /etc/gdm/PostLogin? I'd be interested in
> hearing it.
>
> Thanks!
>
> John
>
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 8:27 AM, Oliver Grawert <ogra@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> hi,
>> On Do, 2008-08-28 at 08:03 -0700, john wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I was wondering where I can put scripts that I want to run when a user
>>> logs on to a thin client. I used to put them in /etc/profile but that
>>> doesn't seem to work under Hardy. It seems like LDM is somehow
>>> by-passing the stuff I put there. Can someone help me out?
>> ldm is executing /etc/X11/Xsession by default ... (like gdm or kdm do)
>> one option would be to put stuff into /etc/X11/Xsession.d, another is to
>> use the xdg autostart mechanism in /etc/xdg/autostart
>>
>> ciao
>> oli
>>
>> --
>> edubuntu-users mailing list
>> edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
>>
>>
>
> --
> edubuntu-users mailing list
> edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
>

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 08-29-2008, 06:08 AM
Uwe Geercken
 
Default how do you get something to run when a user logs on?

David,

I agree. I am doing classroom seessions once a week in our local
school for about a year now and tend to forget things when I don't
need them regularly. my server runs well so I haven't touch him for a
while.

I have surfed the net to collect little bits on how to tweak ltsp or
how to get around problems. it would be nice to have this all
documented and a real good overview of ltsp as you indicated.

if you and others do that, I would volunteer to help and to translate
to german. to have things in one place would be really helpful.

rgds,

uwe


Quoting David Van Assche <dvanassche@gmail.com>:

> In reality, there has been no move away from the standard practices
> you describe below. The difference is that we often forget that the
> /etc/profile and .../PostLogin are really being read from the user's
> chroot (/opt/ltsp/<name-of-chroot>/etc/profile) and that these then
> need to be rebuilt using the ltsp-update-image command....
>
> It would be wonderful for more documentation on all this stuff, there
> is much that gets taken for granted by ltsp experts but just leaves
> most newbies clueless... LTSP is not so logical in what it does until
> you understand the entire framework, and I don't believe that even
> THAT isn't documented anywhere... I've volunteered to re/write some of
> edubuntu classroom handbook by writing this email of course... if
> anyone wants to join in, we should coordinate.... I've started by
> ripping restructuring so that it becomes an LTSP handbook and not a
> edubuntu handbook since most LTSP is the same, and only certain
> elements are ubuntu specific (btw.... someone should really tell the
> canonical corps to get rid of the edubuntu brand name as it does
> nothing now but create confusion.) It doesn't exist as a distro as do
> xubuntu and geubuntu and kubuntu... it needs to be restructured
> somehow cause I bet its just confusing the hell out of people... I
> would love for someone that works with canonical to explain to me,
> what edubuntu means to them :-) and please dont say: Its the 2nd CD
> with all the educactional software.)
>
> David
>
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 12:33 AM, john <lists.john@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi oli,
>>
>> Thanks again for this approach. Is there a story behind the move away
>> from using /etc/profile and /etc/gdm/PostLogin? I'd be interested in
>> hearing it.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> John
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 8:27 AM, Oliver Grawert <ogra@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>>> hi,
>>> On Do, 2008-08-28 at 08:03 -0700, john wrote:
>>>> Hi all,
>>>>
>>>> I was wondering where I can put scripts that I want to run when a user
>>>> logs on to a thin client. I used to put them in /etc/profile but that
>>>> doesn't seem to work under Hardy. It seems like LDM is somehow
>>>> by-passing the stuff I put there. Can someone help me out?
>>> ldm is executing /etc/X11/Xsession by default ... (like gdm or kdm do)
>>> one option would be to put stuff into /etc/X11/Xsession.d, another is to
>>> use the xdg autostart mechanism in /etc/xdg/autostart
>>>
>>> ciao
>>> oli
>>>
>>> --
>>> edubuntu-users mailing list
>>> edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
>>>
>>>
>>
>> --
>> edubuntu-users mailing list
>> edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
>>
>
> --
> edubuntu-users mailing list
> edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
>



--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:51 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org