Old 08-25-2008, 10:54 AM
"Olle Englund"

Default Childsplay hangs on exit

Yes, having the same problem. The screen freezes after pressing "j"
(y) to exit. The only solution is to press ctrl+alt+del or switch to
console to terminate the process. The server is x64 - was yours,
Krsnendu dasa?

/ Carl

Childsplay hanging

Krsnendu dasa
Sat, 26 Jul 2008 13:07:56 -0700

Running 8.04.1
When any user runs childsplay it hangs on exit. It stays frozen on the
screen that says "Do your really want to exit, y/n"
The only way i know to get out is alt-ctrl-backspace. Then the program stays
running for the user (shown in top as python) and I can't kill it.
sudo pkill python
sudo pkill -u <username>

All fail to kill the process.
Has anyone else experienced this? Any workarounds?

Thanks.
Krsnendu dasa

Old 08-25-2008, 12:15 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008, Olle Englund wrote:

> Yes, having the same problem. The screen freezes after pressing "j"
> (y) to exit. The only solution is to press ctrl+alt+del or switch to
> console to terminate the process. The server is x64 - was yours,
> Krsnendu dasa?

I think this is the same issue being described in the current thread "Apps
hanging around."

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/edubuntu-users/2008-August/thread.html#4345

If you disable sound on a thin client, you'll probably find the issue goes
away. That's not a fix of course, but it should tell us whether you have
the same issue or if yours is different.

We're going to have to get some programming muscle to sort this out. It
looks like an issue with libsdl and esound/pulseaudio to my somewhat
untrained eye.

Gavin

Old 08-26-2008, 04:34 AM
"Krsnendu dasa"

My server is 32 bit.
I'll see if I can turn off the sound and see if that helps.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:25 AM
Gavin McCullagh

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Krsnendu dasa wrote:

> My server is 32 bit.
> I'll see if I can turn off the sound and see if that helps.

if it does work, then try:

sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2debian-all

and see does that sort it out libsdl1.2debian-alsa. Then

Gavin

Old 08-26-2008, 11:43 AM
Gavin McCullagh

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Gavin McCullagh wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Krsnendu dasa wrote:
>
> > My server is 32 bit.
> > I'll see if I can turn off the sound and see if that helps.
>
> if it does work, then try:
>
> sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2debian-all
>
> and see does that sort it out libsdl1.2debian-alsa. Then

I meant to say:

sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2debian-all

which will remove libsdl1.2debian-alsa. Then try childsplay again with
sound on and see does that sort it out.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks,
Gavin