Old 08-25-2008, 12:19 AM
"Patrick McKnight"

Default fat clients ssh into ltsp server

Greetings,

I am setting up an ltsp server but somehow I have run into a novel
problem. I have several machines that are stand-alone workstations
that boot off their own hard drives. I want to be able to access the
hardware on those systems as well as allow those workstations to
access the ltsp server. I am using the ltsp server as the dhcp server
for my network. So, can the ltsp server be a dhcp server for thin and
fat clients and allow access via ssh across the network? If so, how?
Thanks greatly for any help.

--
Cheers,

Patrick

Old 08-25-2008, 10:00 AM
Gavin McCullagh

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008, Patrick McKnight wrote:

> I am setting up an ltsp server but somehow I have run into a novel
> problem. I have several machines that are stand-alone workstations
> that boot off their own hard drives. I want to be able to access the
> hardware on those systems as well as allow those workstations to
> access the ltsp server.

When you say "access" the ltsp server, what exactly do you mean. Surely
any desktop can ssh to the ltsp server?

> I am using the ltsp server as the dhcp server for my network. So, can
> the ltsp server be a dhcp server for thin and fat clients and allow
> access via ssh across the network? If so, how? Thanks greatly for any
> help.

It does this by default. The thin clients will PXE boot, other desktops
will not request booting information and will just get IP addresses as
normal. When you say "access" do you mean a full X display running on the
server or just be able to ssh into it. You should already be able to ssh
to it.

Gavin

Old 08-25-2008, 11:40 AM
"Patrick McKnight"

Gavin,

Thanks for your reply. I figured out the problem late last night. My
NIC's were switched and kept switching each boot. I also had them
configured incorrectly - eth0 was my internet connection and eth1 was
my local network connection. Once I switched those around, everything
worked just fine.

Also, just a note to those who might run into the same problem - my
nic's kept getting a different ethX assigned at boot. Sometimes they
were properly assigned and other times they switched. It was
maddening until I created some new udev rules (i.e., in
/etc/udev/rules.d/) with the following lines to assign the ethX by MAC
address:

create a file called 11-local.rules

paste and edit the file according to your MAC addresses:

KERNEL=="eth*",SYSFS{address}=="xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" ,NAME="eth1"
KERNEL=="eth*",SYSFS{address}=="xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" ,NAME="eth0"

Everything works just fine now.

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 6:00 AM, Gavin McCullagh <gmccullagh@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Aug 2008, Patrick McKnight wrote:
>
>> I am setting up an ltsp server but somehow I have run into a novel
>> problem. I have several machines that are stand-alone workstations
>> that boot off their own hard drives. I want to be able to access the
>> hardware on those systems as well as allow those workstations to
>> access the ltsp server.
>
> When you say "access" the ltsp server, what exactly do you mean. Surely
> any desktop can ssh to the ltsp server?
>
>> I am using the ltsp server as the dhcp server for my network. So, can
>> the ltsp server be a dhcp server for thin and fat clients and allow
>> access via ssh across the network? If so, how? Thanks greatly for any
>> help.
>
> It does this by default. The thin clients will PXE boot, other desktops
> will not request booting information and will just get IP addresses as
> normal. When you say "access" do you mean a full X display running on the
> server or just be able to ssh into it. You should already be able to ssh
> to it.
>
> Gavin

Cheers,

Patrick