Old 12-07-2007, 06:47 PM
Richard Doyle

Default Upgrade?

We're happily running Edubuntu 7.04, but are interested in upgrading to
Gutsy (Edubuntu 7.10) over the winter holidays.

Is the upgrade worthwhile? Faster start-up of client sessions under
Gutsy is attractive, but what are the negatives? I'm concerned about
reports of problems with local devices (USB thumb drives).

Old 12-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Asmo Koskinen

Richard Doyle kirjoitti:
> We're happily running Edubuntu 7.04, but are interested in upgrading to
> Gutsy (Edubuntu 7.10) over the winter holidays.

Me, too, from Ubuntu 6.06 32-bit (P4/1GB) to the Ubuntu 7.10 64-bit
(Dual Core Xeon/4GB). Quite a jump. We has used that old system about
three years now - started with SuSE 9.2, then Breezy and Dapper. And I
will after that upgarde to the 8.04 for next three years.

Old one (once again, sorry for finnish...):

http://wiki.ubuntu-fi.org/Ubuntu_6.06_LTSP42#head-63807a6c4ef2050689569837559e4c407b95af0a
> I'm concerned about reports of problems with local devices (USB thumb drives).

My test environment worked just fine (Gnash, USB, Sound...), new one:

http://wiki.ubuntu-fi.org/Edubuntu_7.10_Classroom_Server_%28x86_64%29

Clients will be old P4 machines:

http://wiki.ubuntu-fi.org/LTSP_Ohjeita#head-a289f7ef5347792722aa648331486f6b134d8792

That way I can take best of both worlds - server/Xeon/64-bit and
clients/P4/32-bit.

I will report how smooth that jump will be... it is my and ten other
colleges daily office environment.

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.