Old 08-22-2008, 06:00 PM

Default Apps hanging around.

I'm running LTSP on edubuntu 8.04

Seems that when a thin client runs things like tuxpaint or gcompris or tuxtype the apps don't want to close correctly. Even firefox in some cases.

Is this a common problem? I have a large server, but I'm loading it up with processes.

I didn't have this problem last year with 7.04

Luis

Old 08-23-2008, 03:29 AM
"F. Rodriguez"

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 2:00 PM, <monteslu@cox.net> wrote:
> I'm running LTSP on edubuntu 8.04
>
> Seems that when a thin client runs things like tuxpaint or gcompris or tuxtype the apps don't want to close correctly.

Could you provide more details ? Any specific errors ?

Old 08-23-2008, 10:17 AM
"R. Scott Belford"

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 5:29 PM, F. Rodriguez <Fabian.Rodriguez@canonical.com> wrote:

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 2:00 PM, *<monteslu@cox.net> wrote:

> I'm running LTSP on edubuntu 8.04

> Seems that when a thin client runs things like tuxpaint or gcompris or tuxtype the apps don't want to close correctly.

Could you provide more details ? Any specific errors ?
This was common with 7.10, and a program called watchdog was written to
kill off the running processes.* Perhaps this is what you need?

--scott

Old 08-23-2008, 02:36 PM
"David Trask"

see this old
posting....http://www.mail-archive.com/edubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com/msg02173.html
for more you could email matt

<monteslu@cox.net> writes:
>I'm running LTSP on edubuntu 8.04
>
>Seems that when a thin client runs things like tuxpaint or gcompris or
>tuxtype the apps don't want to close correctly. Even firefox in some
>cases.
>
>Is this a common problem? I have a large server, but I'm loading it up
>with processes.
>
>I didn't have this problem last year with 7.04
>
>Luis
>

>--

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Director
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask@vcsvikings.org
(207)923-3100

Old 08-24-2008, 05:15 AM
Luis Montes

It looks like watchdog or xterminator will help for the cases when apps
are still there on after logging out.

But right now I can't even close some windows while still logged in. On
a fully patched 8.04, if I can't even seem to close SDL apps like
tuxpaint or gcompris.
There is nothing being logged that I can see.

Luis

Old 08-24-2008, 12:36 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008, Luis Montes wrote:

> It looks like watchdog or xterminator will help for the cases when apps
> are still there on after logging out.
>
> But right now I can't even close some windows while still logged in. On
> a fully patched 8.04, if I can't even seem to close SDL apps like
> tuxpaint or gcompris.
> There is nothing being logged that I can see.

I recall an issue like this being reported before. One workaround was to
disable sound. It seemed like the problem related somehow to releasing
pulseaudio.

Could you try starting it from the command line and see does the problem
repeat? Then, set
export ESPEAKER=
export PULSE_SERVER=

and see does the issue go away. If it doesn't, maybe disable sound on a
thin client (in lts.conf) and try again. Obviously you want sound, but
this will hopefully help track down cause of the issue.

Gavin

Old 08-24-2008, 08:14 PM
Luis Montes

Looks like I can close the apps when clearing those env variables.
This worked for both wesnoth and tuxpaint.

Any chance going against an external ldap server for
authentication/authorization has anything to do with this?
(just in case sound requires certain groups)
Luis

Old 08-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Luis Montes

R. Scott Belford wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 5:29 PM, F. Rodriguez
> <Fabian.Rodriguez@canonical.com
> <mailto:Fabian.Rodriguez@canonical.com>> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 2:00 PM, <monteslu@cox.net
> <mailto:monteslu@cox.net>> wrote:
> > I'm running LTSP on edubuntu 8.04
> >
> > Seems that when a thin client runs things like tuxpaint or
> gcompris or tuxtype the apps don't want to close correctly.
>
> Could you provide more details ? Any specific errors ?
>

> This was common with 7.10, and a program called watchdog was written
> to kill off the running processes. Perhaps this is what you need?
>
> --scott

Do you have some more info on this? The only watchdog app i can find is
for restarting the box.

Luis

Old 08-24-2008, 08:38 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008, Luis Montes wrote:

> Looks like I can close the apps when clearing those env variables.
> This worked for both wesnoth and tuxpaint.

Okay. We should probably get a bug reported in launchpad. As I recall,
last time this was brought up, we concluded that it was against apps which
used libsdl (tuxpaint, tuxmath, gcompris,...). I'm not certain what
package to file against in ubuntu. You could file against tuxpaint or
gcompris and see what the package maintainer makes of it.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/edubuntu-users/2007-December/thread.html#3025

> Any chance going against an external ldap server for
> authentication/authorization has anything to do with this?
> (just in case sound requires certain groups)

Not that I'm aware. However, if you find this is an issue, please let us
know.

Gavin