Old 08-22-2008, 12:46 PM
"Vu Nguyen"

Default Hi guys, I have problem with Firefox

Hi guys,

I have problem with Firefox when I logon to Ubuntu LTSP (server) and on the think client with the same user name. Firefox can not run and I have a message box with Close Firefox/ Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system.

By the way, I can't find Edubuntu Thin Client Manager. Could you help me with this?

Thanks a lot.

Vu Nguyen

Old 08-22-2008, 02:27 PM

Vu Nguyen schrieb:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have problem with Firefox when I logon to Ubuntu LTSP (server) and on the
> think client with the same user name.
What looks like a "logon at a client" is a logon at the server so you
are logged on twice at the same system.

gerhard

Old 08-22-2008, 04:24 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008, gerhard.oettl.ml@ogersoft.at wrote:

> Vu Nguyen schrieb:
> > I have problem with Firefox when I logon to Ubuntu LTSP (server) and on the
> > think client with the same user name.
> What looks like a "logon at a client" is a logon at the server so you
> are logged on twice at the same system.

Moreorless anyway. If you open firefox multiple times on the same DISPLAY,
it'll be smart enough to simply open extra windows for you without starting
another instance of firefox. If you try to run it on two different
displays (eg two thin clients or a thin client and the server console),
this cannot be done, a second instance of firefox is needed. It is not
safe for firefox to have multiple instances of itself reading a single
user's profile (eg, what happens if they both try to bookmark a file at the
same moment, there would be a danger of corruption). For this reason,
firefox prevents multiple instances of firefox running on a single profile.

You can create a second firefox profile to achieve this. Run:

firefox -ProfileManager

However, the same issues can arise with other programs like gnome. It's
generally better not to login the same account in two places at once.

Gavin

Old 08-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Stephen McCullagh

Welcome back Gav !

Your informative emails have been missed !

Steve.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:59 AM
"Vu Nguyen"

Thanks, Gerhard.
Vu* Nguyen

Old 08-23-2008, 02:33 PM
"David Trask"

in the users home directory...do

# rm -Rf .mozilla

then try again....crude but usually works

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Director
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask@vcsvikings.org