Old 12-07-2007, 10:40 AM

Default edu on vmware

Hello !!

Om running my system vmware hosts and today a have edu server installed on
the hosts.
But i thinking should it be better to install
ubuntu joes 7.10 and then install the edu package on topp to get best
performance in a vmware hosts.
A have problems today with slow respons on my clients.

// matte

Old 12-07-2007, 01:06 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007, matte@ahavaxthuset.se wrote:

> Om running my system vmware hosts and today a have edu server installed on
> the hosts.
> But i thinking should it be better to install
> ubuntu joes 7.10 and then install the edu package on topp to get best
> performance in a vmware hosts.

To install Ubuntu and add the educational packages should give exactly the
same system as just installing edubuntu.

> A have problems today with slow respons on my clients.

Are you sure that's not because (if I understand correctly) you're using a
virtualised server on top of an existing operating system? That doesn't
sound like a recipe for good performance to me.

Gavin

Old 12-07-2007, 03:08 PM

Hello

But isent ubuntu joes bulit to be faster on vmware then a regular ubuntu ?
And that should increase de perfomance if a install edu in topp.

Yes today a have en ubuntu 6.06 and then a vmware ontop with edu install.
But the server is a 2 500 with 3 g ram and 1 client makes it to slow
2 min to start firefox,

// matte

Old 12-07-2007, 03:26 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007, matte@ahavaxthuset.se wrote:

> But isent ubuntu joes bulit to be faster on vmware then a regular ubuntu ?
> And that should increase de perfomance if a install edu in topp.

You must know something I don't. What is "ubuntu joes"? Have you got a
link to that?

> Yes today a have en ubuntu 6.06 and then a vmware ontop with edu install.
> But the server is a 2 500 with 3 g ram and 1 client makes it to slow
> 2 min to start firefox,

Why would you install edubuntu in vmware on top of ubuntu? Why not just
install the extra education packages onto ubuntu? I'm not surprised it's
slow to be honest.

Gavin

Old 12-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
On Fr, 2007-12-07 at 16:26 +0000, Gavin McCullagh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 07 Dec 2007, matte@ahavaxthuset.se wrote:
>
> > But isent ubuntu joes bulit to be faster on vmware then a regular ubuntu ?
> > And that should increase de perfomance if a install edu in topp.
>
> You must know something I don't. What is "ubuntu joes"? Have you got a
> link to that?

he meant JeOS (pronounced juice) i suppose:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2007-November/000106.html

ciao
oli

Old 12-07-2007, 05:02 PM

Hi

Precis mixed the letters togheter :-)
If you have e vmwares server you morer flexiber when new updates arrive.
You can install new uppdates and new versions of edu without tuching the
old system.
Then you can run two edu version togheter in one server to test new
versions. and then have the old system standing by if the new one breaks.
I run almost all my servers on vmware hosts.

Tried to install jeos but the installation fails.

// matte

Old 12-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007, matte@ahavaxthuset.se wrote:

> If you have e vmwares server you morer flexiber when new updates arrive.
> You can install new uppdates and new versions of edu without tuching the
> old system.
> Then you can run two edu version togheter in one server to test new
> versions. and then have the old system standing by if the new one breaks.

My approach to this is to have two servers, which I am lucky enough to have
for other reasons. I test as much as I can on one, while production is done
on the other, using next-server to switch thin clients back and forth. I
guess not everyone is as lucky :-(

I'd still personally be a little concerned to use virtualisation for ltsp,
primarily because of the added complexity (new ways for things to break,
difficulty for others to understand the setup) and to a lesser degree
wasted resources. But if it works for you, fair enough.

> I run almost all my servers on vmware hosts.

Out of curiosity, why vmware and not Xen or one of the more supported open
source virtualisation setups?

Gavin

Old 12-08-2007, 01:42 PM

Hi
So on monday a well start trieing to get it work in vmware and ltsp a will
also trie to install a new server with only edu to see if it is the vmware
and ltsp to make it slow ore my network.

A like vmware the first virtulaz i tried and a like it :-)

so get back to you monday with the asware to my slow network ;-)

// matte