Old 12-05-2007, 11:51 PM

Default want to ask about VIA/S3G Unichrome IGP Pro

Hi....

i have problem in setting this display card....i used GG

what have i done :

******** - i already follow what ubuntu forum said -- failed

******** - install xserver for openchrome* -- failed

i kept doing after setting up - sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg* ( vesa )

Thanks

~E~

http://oedha.blogspot.com

More new features than ever. Check out the new AIM(R) Mail!

Old 12-06-2007, 07:10 AM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"

Hi

oedha@netscape.net wrote:
> i have problem in setting this display card....i used GG
> what have i done :
> - i already follow what ubuntu forum said -- failed
> - install xserver for openchrome -- failed
> i kept doing after setting up - sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh
> xserver-xorg ( vesa )

Did the vesa driver work at least? Unfortunately, support for the
Unichrome chipsets aren't very good at the moment. I made the mistake of
buying a motherboard with this chipset as well. Many new motherboards
ship with those chipsets though, so please file and comment on any
Unichrome related bug on Launchpad as well.

I could get 2D acceleration working fine on my Unichrome card, but not
3D. I'll only be home again and have access to this computer next week.
If you could hang on until then, I can let you know what I did to get it
running, although according to the howto's, there are ways to make 3D
work. Can you please supply us with the exact model of your Unichrome
chip? Some have different workarounds, and work better than others.

-Jonathan

Old 12-06-2007, 08:23 AM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
On Do, 2007-12-06 at 10:10 +0200, Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) wrote:
> Did the vesa driver work at least? Unfortunately, support for the
> Unichrome chipsets aren't very good at the moment. I made the mistake of
> buying a motherboard with this chipset as well. Many new motherboards
> ship with those chipsets though, so please file and comment on any
> Unichrome related bug on Launchpad as well.
you should try out the openchrome driver from universe (it's binary is
called via too and it replaces the original via one if you install it
(so the name stays via here))
it works for *some* of the unichrome cards (no guarantees, it seems to
be a matter of luck)
others (for which neither via nor openchrome works ) are apparently
doomed to vesa with these chipsets, the via X driver situation is sadly
the most fragmented one :/

ciao
oli