Old 07-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Oliver Grawert

Default new documentation team

hi,

sorry for the crosspost...

during the hackfest we started an effort of getting the documantation
into better shape, we have:

a) created a team and branch on launchpad that is related directly to
the code branches:
team: https://launchpad.net/~ltsp-docwriters
docbook code: https://code.launchpad.net/~ltsp-docwriters

b) taken the awesome edubuntu handbook chapter that scott balneaves
wrote about ltsp5 and pushed it into the above branch (lots and lots of
thanks go to brian tilma (btil) in whom i ran at OSCON by occasion and
who just showed up at the hackfest afterwards, taking over all that
work ... thats how opensource needs to work, thanks brian !)

c) Gideon romm (Gadi) has brought the lts-parameters.txt up to speed to
contain all variables currently supported (in ubuntu thats now installed
on the server side instead of the client side as we did for years
(i.e. /usr/share/doc/ltsp-server
vs. /opt/ltsp/$ARCH/usr/share/doc/ltsp-client-core, other distros might
want to do the same ...)
we highly encourage that if you add features that bring in new lts.conf
variables to be documented there, the document will be transfered into
the above mentioned handbook as well and should be a center point where
devs that dont touch docbook provide info for documenters that dont
touch code

d) jim mcquillian has started a little wiki cleanup, starting at
http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/DownLoads
if you know about other distros touching ltsp5 that are not listed yet
please tell us.

so if you want to help out with bringing the ltsp docs up to speed, join
the team (i would imagine beyond the general handbook chapters we want
to have one per distro to point out the specific features that are not
in the common code) ... if you are a developer, dont forget to document
your lts.conf variables in lts-parameters.txt in the code branch ...

ciao
oli