Old 07-22-2008, 11:27 PM
"Barb A. Tabor"

Default root password for sabayon

I installed sabayon and it didn't ask
me to set up a root password, but now is asking for one. *Is there
a default root password?

Thanks, Barb--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Old 07-23-2008, 09:06 AM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008, Barb A. Tabor wrote:

> I installed sabayon and it didn't ask me to set up a root password, but
> now is asking for one. Is there a default root password?

What exactly is asking (ie what are you doing when you get asked)? Ubuntu
doesn't have a root password by default. You can set one, but it's not
something you would ordinarily want to do. Are you sure your own passord
won't do?

Gavin

Old 07-23-2008, 01:45 PM
"Barb A. Tabor"

Gavin: *I have an Edubuntu (Hardy
Heron) server and I use Sabayon to create the images the thin clients will
see. We are trying to get our thin clients to authenicate to active directory
on our Windows Network. So, we purchased Likewise Enterprise. The salesman
told me that it would work for *this. *The Likewise people told
me I have to install Likewise in the image that each thin client receives.
So, *I was trying to insall Likewise on the Sabayon image. When Likewise
starts to execute, I get an error message that says I have to install as
superuser. I am not installing from the Terminal, but through the Sabayon
interface so I am unable to use sudo. I have logged in as sabayon-admin
and made it a root member, but still get the error message. I am so confused
as to how to run it as root within Sabayon. Is there another way to do
this without using sabayon?

Old 07-23-2008, 07:21 PM
"Barb A. Tabor"

To clear up any confusion on my earlier
post...

I'm talking about this sabayon (not the
distro)... *http://doc.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/edubuntu/handbook/C/ch03s07.html

I installed sabayon and it didn't ask
me to set up a root password, but now is asking for one. *

Is there a default root password?

(I am trying to install Likewise Enterprise
inside Sabayon so our thin clients can authenicate to active directory
on our Windows Network and it needs to be installed by a superuser.)

Old 07-24-2008, 03:51 AM
john

Hello Barb,

I would advise you to get your active Directory authentication working
before you add Sabayon. At one time, Sabayon didn't work very well
with Active Directory, that may have changed now. Trying to do two
things at once will probably make fixing either issue pretty tough.

Regarding rootly powers:

If you setup the server you can have root privileges by using opening
a terminal and using the 'sudo' command. You'll be prompted for your
user password,( if someone else setup the server you'll need to get
the username and password from them or restart the server in recovery
mode and set the root password from the command line.) After your
password is accepted you'll be dropped to a root shell. From there
you can run sabayon or anything else as root. If you want to set a
password for the root user you can do this by issuing the 'passwd'
command after you are running a shell as root. You'll be prompted to
enter a new root passwd two times. Once the passwd is accepted you can
be root anytime you want by opening a command line typing 'su' and the
password you chose for root.

I recommend you look through the archives on this list here:
http://www.nabble.com/edubuntu-users-f15845.html
or here: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/edubuntu-users/

The nabble link lets you search the list by keyword. Pretty handy.

You may also wish to check out the Ubuntu forums at
http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php
for more ideas.

Hope this helps.

John